Rest Hold

"You look a lot better today," Nick comments as he sits down. I texted Vick saying to meet at the cafe for breakfast, and I got here first.

"I feel a lot better too." For more than one reason.

"You're smiling," Vick says as he sits down beside me. "What happened?"

I shrug. "I got a good sleep. I feel good, and I'm ready for my match."

"That's good to hear," Jack says. "It's in two hours."

I roll my eyes. Vick's analyzing my face, and I already know that he's going to ask me why I'm so happy as soon as we're alone. Not out of respect for my privacy or anything like that, but because he knows that I'm much more likely to tell him alone.

We have breakfast, and two hours later I have my match. I take the guy down pretty quickly, as usual. As the ref holds up my hand, though, I spot Leo in the crowd. The guys that he's with, from his club, don't look particularly thrilled. They don't usually look that upset at my wins, and there are more of them than there usually are... did I just wrestle- and beat- someone from his club?

When I get back to our room to shower, he's there, sitting on his bed and not reading. He's already looking at the door as I come in. "Was that someone from your club?" I ask, and he sighs a little.

"Yeah. So I can't introduce you to my friends, now. They'd probably glare at you the entire time."

"That's okay, I'd probably be staring at you the entire time," I murmur, sitting next to him. He pulls up his mask, exposing his grin, and I lean in to kiss him. He obliges me one or two kisses before kicking me off his bed on account of I haven't showered yet.

When I'm just about done in the shower, he calls through the door, "Tyler?"

"Yeah?"

"I've got my match now. I'll see you later?"

"I'd hope so. Good luck!"

"Thanks!"

I hear the door to our room open, then close. I get out of the shower a minute or so later. My phone lights up with a new notification- from Vick, as usual.

Meet in billiards room?

I text back to say yes, and I go down a few minutes later. I'm expecting to see all three of the guys there, but it's just Vick. He's running off the table, rarely missing a shot.

"Hey. What's up?"

Vick doesn't waste time. "Why were you so happy this morning? Especially after you apparently couldn't sleep yesterday, due- apparently- to continuous thinking?"

"I..."

He re-racks the balls, then gestures for me to break. I do, though it's pretty weak.

"Tyler, really. What's going on? Is it something to do with the tournament? Me? Nick or Jack? Leo? Coach Turner? Your parents? You can tell me, you know I've got your back."

I sigh. "Vick-"

"No, don't start with my name. Start with what's going on. Come on, Tyler."

I sigh again. "It's... complicated."

"We've got time. Try again."

I smile a little. "You really want to hear about it?"

"Yes. I'm your friend, and this is affecting you enough for me to be curious."

"Fine. But you're not going to be super happy about it."

He narrows his eyes. "What is it?"

"Chill, it's nothing bad. It's just... probably not super ideal. But you cannot tell Coach, or the guys. Anyone, really."