Heat

The taxi driver drops me off at the front of the shopping centre, and I pay him before practically skipping inside. I feel ten times lighter now that I know Leo's going to win the tournament.

Of course, I'll have to do a lot of explaining when I get back. To everyone. Coach Turner will be pissed, and rightfully so after everything he did to get me to this tournament. Vick will probably be the most understanding, since he knows the most, but he won't be happy with me for just running away. Nick will be pretty upset that I didn't show up to beat Leo, which isn't ideal, since he'll probably have a bit more ill will towards Leo. And Leo...

Leo will have several reasons to be mad at me. 1. I went back on my word. 2. I didn't do what he explicitly said he wanted. 3. I let him win, hence not showing much respect for him or his wishes. 4- maybe I should just stop there.

I'm very aware that he might not still want me, after all of this. Which would suck massively, but that'll be nothing compared to how I would feel if something happened to him again if he didn't have the chance to move away. His safety is the most important thing. Easily. Undoubtedly. And not just physical safety, but also mental and emotional safety- he must be traumatized already, he doesn't need to suffer through anything more.

I wander in and out of stores, not spending any money because I know that I'll have to take a cab back. I can spare enough for two meals, so around noon I go to the food court. Around this time, people will be wondering where the heck I am. The match is only in like, an hour or so. Right on cue, my phone buzzes. It's from Nick.

Where are you?!

I don't respond. But I don't put my phone on silent, either. I'm kind of hoping Vick will text me to tell me what's going on over there, so I can know when it's safe to go back. Not that he knows about this, but in hopes that I might check it and come back or something. I don't know.

About twenty minutes later, I get a text from Vick, as expected.

If you're in your room with Leo, you should probably start thinking about getting ready for the match.

Ah, so that's why he didn't text sooner. He thinks I'm making out with Leo. The time ticks by, and eventually I get another text from Vick.

I just saw Leo. He said you weren't in your room. Jack's going up to check. Where are you, you have a match you moron.

That's why I'm not there, I want to tell him. Soon after:

Okay, Coach is asking us where you are, and he's not looking super thrilled.

And then:

This isn't hide and seek you idiot you'll lose the match by forfeit if you

Tyler you'd better not be trying to hide so that you don't have to wrestle Leo.

Of course Vick got it. He knows me too well. I consider responding, but decide against it. I can explain later.

If you're trying to make some big romantic gesture for Leo by forfeiting the match, you might wanna rethink that. He looks pretty pissed.

The start time of the match ticks closer and closer, and the texts from everyone who has my number get more and more urgent. I ignore all of them except Vick's, which basically keep me updated on what's happening.

Tyler, just because Leo deserves to win doesn't mean you should disappear off the face of the Earth.

Coach is trying to convince the refs to give you another few minutes to show up.

I don't think the refs are going to give you more than five minutes to get your stupid idiotic tooshie over here.

I don't know what you're playing at, but Leo doesn't look happy about it, and all I can see are his eyes. They are murderous.