Spot

A couple of significant things happen over the next few days. The first is that Jack loses a match. The second is that Nick gets matched up with Leo. I hear it from Leo first. He doesn't look thrilled about it. We agree that it's good I introduced him to my friends prior to the match, but otherwise I try to stay away from the subject. Nick, however, is a different story.

We're having breakfast when he brings it up. "Tyler, did you hear that I'm wrestling your roommate tomorrow?"

"Yeah, he mentioned it."

"Got any insider information that might help me out?"

I shake my head. "No. We don't talk about our own wrestling styles. Figure we might have to go up against each other at some point."

Nick doesn't let up, of course. He's never been fantastic with taking no for an answer. "Yeah, but if you're both kind of the favourites for the tournament, then you must be at least taking notes on how to beat each other."

I shift a little, sighing. Yes, Nick is in my wrestling club, so of course I'd like him to win. But I also don't want to sell out Leo, and I've been actively trying not to think about having to wrestle him at some point (for the tournament, anyways). Vick comes to my rescue.

"Nick, lay off. I'm sure you can beat Leo on your own."

Nick frowns. "Tyler's rooming with my opponent, can you blame me? And why are you getting involved? Do you know something I don't?"

Vick gives him a look. "Sure, but Tyler told you he doesn't have anything. If he did and was willing to share, he would've told you. If he's not, leave him alone."

Nick looks at both of us. "What's actually going on here? Seriously, all I did was ask. It makes sense that you'd know something, Tyler, so I'm just checking! We're on the same team!"

"If he's not comfortable telling you anything, you leave him alone," Vick growls. "It's called 'having morals'."

Nick puts his hands up in surrender. "Fine, okay, dude, chill. Wish me luck, then."

That I can do (I did the same for Leo this morning). "Good luck. I'm sure you'll beat him, anyways, Nick. Sorry, I just don't want to piss him off. We're still living together, and it's a lot easier since we're on good terms."

Nick nods, all smiles again. "Thanks, dude. Don't worry, I'll beat him for all of us."

Except he doesn't. I'm a little worried that he might blame me, but he doesn't say anything. Which is a little concerning in itself, with Nick, but I try not to worry about it.

Leo and I don't talk about it that night, which I appreciate. It's a tournament, where we're on opposing sides, and I don't want that to interfere with what we have. I don't want anything to interfere with what we have.

We both shower pretty early, but after his match with Nick, we're not really feeling a steamy make-out session. So we watch Big Bang Theory instead, cuddled up on his bed. It's surprisingly nice, for the lack of kissing. I'm sitting with my back against the headboard of his bed, and he's next to me, his head resting on my shoulder. I have my arm around his waist, and he's kind of cuddled up to me. It's really, really nice.

When the episode ends, I reach for the remote and turn the TV off, but I don't want to move yet. Leo doesn't seem to either, because he lets out a little sigh (a content one, and the sound of it makes my heart rate speed up a bit), and snuggles closer to me. I tighten my arm around his waist and tilt my head down to press a soft kiss to his lips (my first instinct was to kiss his forehead, but I'd rather kiss him than his mask).

"I like this," he murmurs to me, shifting a little so he's facing me more than the TV.

"Me, too." I reach up to stroke his cheek, wishing that the mask was off so I could run my fingers through his hair. He notices, of course (am I really so easy to read that he can basically read my mind? Because it seems like it. How is he the only person that can do that, though, if I'm such an open book?).