Chapter 16: New Sabers & New Experiences

(A/N: hi im not dead lol. I'm a student pilot who does ground school for roughly 6 hours a day and I also fly for 2, so sorry its been like a week since I updated and this chapter is kinda short ahh)

"Are you really doing it today?"

Ashoka hadn't left Kidara's side since the previous night. They had woken up together, Kidaras eyes opening to meet Ashoka's smile, the sideways grin that made Kidara feel like she wanted to cover her blushing face with her hands. They meditated together, intertwining their minds, Ashoka making sure there were no new wounds attached to the bond. They went to the refectory to eat breakfast together, Ashoka practically forcing Kidara to eat something with more nutrients than just tea, and now Ashoka was joining Kidara on her newest endeavor; finally building her second lightsaber. It was a difficult task to do alone, and Ashoka knew having her force signature present would be helpful. Neither of their masters remained on Coruscant, both wished away by the council to do work on a foreign planet. It seemed like the pair never actually got any rest, which was not only detrimental to their health, but to their padawans, who were constantly left alone to try and train themselves.

"I think I'm ready." Kidara responded to Ashoka's question.  "Plus, I'm finally old enough to do it myself."

Ashoka tilted her head towards Kidara, a small smile creeping onto her face. "Is today your birthday? Or your finding day?"

"Finding day." Kidara smiled back, groaning enternally. She had hoped she wouldn't have to mention it. "Sixteen, at least."

"Do you celebrate it?" Ashoka started, but paused. "Or did you? With Quinlan, I mean."

Kidara thought for a moment. She never thought finding days were celebrated. She had no idea as to when her actual birthday was, because the Jedi didn't keep track or look for  foundlings birthdays if there wasn't an obvious date. All she knew was that she was approximately three years old when she was found, but that was about it.

"No," Kidara explained. "I've never understood celebrating it. And Quinlan and I never had time." Kidara spoke of the man in simple conversation like he was just another person. No wincing, no overthinking.

"When I turned sixteen Anakin finally let me build my second lightsaber,." Ashoka grinned. "Then he threw the nabooian cake Padmé had gotten me at my face. She was so mad at him."

Kidara snorted. "I think once for my finding day Quinlan let me fly his starfighter." She covered her hand to try and stifle her laughter. "I didn't go so well."

As the two walked down the practically barren hallways in the temple, they saw another padawan walking with her head hung low. She wasn't accompanied by anyone, just like the two of them.

"Barris?" Ashoka chimed, smiling and waving.

"Hello Ashoka. Hello Kidara." She lifted her head, smiling weakly as she greeted them.

Kidara always thought that Barris had a strange aura. Her force signature was cloudy, almost as if she kept her defense up at all time. That would be exhausting. She was was rarely seen talking with other padawans, and she was always in charge of the most difficult missions, like memorizing sections of mazes or being paired with reckless Jedi.

"We're heading to the crystal halls," Ashoka pointed her thumb behind her as she turned to face Barris. "If you aren't busy you could join us."

Barris shook her head, not meet either of their eyes as she began walking again. "I have map memorizing to do. Thank you for inviting me, though."

The two watched her walk, her pace a touch faster than before. Ashoka and Kidara exchanged wary glances, both equally confused by the older padawan.