How to Fall and How Not to Break

Misty

It was Friday afternoon, and Misty couldn't believe she was on her way to the church weekend with the two younger Chase brothers in tow. She couldn't decide if proactively asking them to divest of all verbal associations with her would ultimately backfire. As the Harry Styles tune, "Watermelon Sugar" crooned on the radio, she found herself daydreaming about Tobi and none of that seemed to matter.

It was a lengthy four hour drive to the church where this weekend's retreat was being held, through many of the old, slowly shutting down factory towns that all smelled like various degrees of burning paper

It was a lengthy four hour drive to the church where this weekend's retreat was being held, through many of the old, slowly shutting down factory towns that all smelled like various degrees of burning paper. In other words, they almost smelled more terrible than they looked. Misty was wearing her one good pair of blue jeans, the ones that actually only had slight wearing at the pockets rather than gaping, unironic holes at the knee.

Both Chase boys were sitting in the back, ominously silent, but still, Misty was relieved they weren't haranguing her for one reason or another

Both Chase boys were sitting in the back, ominously silent, but still, Misty was relieved they weren't haranguing her for one reason or another. She reflected on a conversation that occurred in one of the church small group's last weekend. She had felt like she finally belonged, until they started discussing college and Misty felt frozen, like she was in a class with a test and she hadn't studied.

No one in Misty's family had gone to college, nor had anyone she knew, except for probably her teachers. Even then, most of them had slowly worked through the community college while raising kids, getting an Associate's Degree at most. When she found herself in the midst of a conversation around the SAT, AP Tests, College Credit, and Financial Aid, she felt like a poorly dressed traveller who had ended up at the wrong airport.

As for her future? The day to day had been so tiring over the past couple of years, that"the future" usually meant next week to Misty. She was usually in charge of her mom's food stamps and grocery shopping, not to mention cooking and cleaning the trailer if she wanted a something to eat along with a clean place to sleep. When she was in her right mind, Misty's mom would entrust the foodstamps to her, lest she sell them for cash the next time she was out looking for a fix. This was something for which Misty was grateful, and she felt her heart swell with pride for her Mom, before silently cussing Dave for threatening to ruin all her hard work.