You Can't Get There From Here

Misty felt like stumbling backwards, preferably back into what she formerly understood as her real life. Instead, she found herself frozen to the spot, mouth agape at Dr. Ethan Agodore, wishing for the punchline that would tell her this was all a big joke.

Dr. Agodore slapped a hand playfully to his forward, "Oh! Silly me!" he chortled.

"You must be totally terrified! You have no idea who I am, do you?"

Misty eyed him suspiciously now, back from her temporary state of shock. "Um. Not before the morning announcements, no," she said, her tone less than friendly.

She was beginning to find his unceasing self-assurance grating.

"I was a friend of your father's, Misty," he explained warmly.

Misty felt a lump forming in her stomach. "My...father?" she said, the voice coming from her mouth sounding squeaky, very much unlike her own.

Dr. Agodore's annoyingly assured smile did not falter.

"How on earth could this man have known my Dad?" Misty thought, becoming increasingly mystified.

Clearly taking in her expression that was more alarmed than intrigued, Dr. Agodore finally got the hint and took a step back. Misty thought he must be about the same age as Luke, perhaps a few years older. Yet, they were drastically different: from their dress to how they approached her. Luke made her feel accepted and safe. While something about Dr. Agodore made her want to find the nearest fire alarm and pull it.

Coming back to the present moment, Misty realized Dr. Agodore wasn't going to excuse himself from their exchange. She was going to have to use all of her non-existent social skills to navigate her way out of this one. Where was Jenna when she needed her?