FOUR

"That was amazing," Gwyneira murmured into my neck the next morning.

I traced her hip. "Did making love to a woman satisfy you more than a man?"

"More than you could ever imagine."

I smiled. "Good. Perhaps now you can marry a princess instead of a prince. I hear the Princess of Sancia is unmarried."

"I want to marry you."

"You don't mean that," I said, laughing nervously. "You're just high off of last night's activities."

"I do mean it. I want to bring you back to Eira as my wife. Ezri can come if you want."

"But I am so far out of your class. You would be the laughing stock of the other elites. And I have no etiquette training."

"To hell with the other people's expectations. I want you. You can finally get away from your father."

"I have my mother here, too."

"Who says she can't come along, as well?"

"She's far too sick to travel."

"I could give her the best doctors in Eira."

"This is not a conversation we should be having. That dream is nothing more than that—a dream."

I climbed out of bed, splashing water on my face. Gwyneira's cold touch landed on my lower back, and I had to stop myself from shivering. She turned me around, bringing me into another mind-blowing kiss. If she keeps this up, I will say yes to her proposition.

I pulled away. "Help me choose an outfit for the day—before Ezri finds us."

❅❅❅

"Welcome, sir," Ezri spoke as she answered the door. She dipped into a curtsy. "Mister and Mistress Lysandra welcomes you."

"Camron, ma boy," my father boomed, clapping Camron on the back.

"Father," I said. "You agreed not to interfere with this meal. If you are worried about a chaperone, Ezri has agreed to do it."

"Yes, yes, I am aware," he grumbled. "I have guests as well. Camron, when this little meal finishes, come and see me in my study. We have some things to discuss."

"Without a doubt, sir."

My father lit a cigar before walking away, smoke swirling around him.

As we all sat at our table, Camron spoke, "First, I would like to sincerely apologize... I'm sorry; I don't know your name."

"Gardenia," she murmured. "My name is Gardenia."

"Yes, I would like to apologize sincerely to Gardenia for my actions. I realize that I do not deserve your forgiveness for what I did, but I will try."

"I-I accept your apology, but I don't want to see you again."

I gripped her hand under the table, giving her a reassuring smile.

After supper, I went to visit my mother. I knew right away that something was wrong. "Mother?" I asked, shaking her. "Mother?"

It took a few shakes to get her to open her eyes. "Sorry, mea flosculus. I was very deep into my dream."

"Mother, are you doing all right?"

"Yes, of course. I am just a little more tired today."

"Should I fetch the doctor in Daley—?"