ELEVEN

As Serafina instructed, I entered her bedroom that subsequent morning. William waited out in the hall, aware of the midnight conversation between Serafina and me. Let's just say he didn't take it lightly that I didn't tell him about it. Serafina was in the middle of sewing what seemed like the skirt of a dress.

"I traded a necklace that I made for some fabric," Serafina explained, noticing my gaze. "That way, I don't have to spend seventy aurums that I don't have."

I nodded. "I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job with it."

She set it aside, rising from her chair. "Come, I'll show you how to be a peasant woman."

She grabbed a loose piece of fabric, tying back my hair with it. She claimed my hair was a dead giveaway of my nobility. She gathered William, my other guards, and myself before leading us outside.

"Grab some of that dirt and rub it on your arms."

I blinked at her. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me, ma'am. You and your entourage are far too clean."

William sent me a look, and I nodded. William helped me smear dirt on my arms and a bit on my face because he prohibited me from bending over. Much to my displeasure, Serafina ripped up the hem of my dress.

"It's beautiful outside—let's take a stroll," she said with a glance to the sky.

I dismissed all of my guards except for William. Serafina took me by my arm, and we began to walk. As we walked, my suspicions arose. It seemed as though Serafina was taking me in a specific place. Within minutes, shouting sounded through the trees. We came upon a scene that turned my blood cold. What seemed like a guard was standing before a post—a whipping post.

And there was a boy no older than nine chained to it. His shoulders shook with silent sobs.

I gasped. "What are those men doing?"

"Something tragic."

The man, who I noticed held a black whip, yelled to the crowd. I clutched harder at Serafina as the man said the dreaded words, "I sentence this boy here to ten lashes on account of his theft."

The man raised the whip, and I went to intercept him. But William seized my arm and yanked me back. "Your Majesty, as much as I admire your loyalty to your people, saving him would require you to blow your cover."

"But it is a child!"

"I know that, Your Majesty. I will make sure that someone pays for his medical attention. I beg of you: stay here."

I could do nothing but watch as the man mercilessly whipped the boy ten times. With every lash, the boy cried out, and my heart shattered further and further. The sound was enough to stir my stomach. I imagine my knuckles were white with how hard I held William's arm.

As soon as the tenth one struck the boy's back, a girl ran up to the post. She wore a tattered dress with tear stains on her freckled cheeks. Some of her brown hair fell over her face as she crouched beside the boy. Like the boy, she couldn't be more than ten.

I ripped myself away from William, racing over to the boy. The girl glared at me, but I ignored that. "Where does the boy live?" I asked.

"Madame Benigna's Orphanage," the girl mumbled.

I signaled for William to come closer. "William, help me get him to back to Madame Benigna's Orphanage. Serafina, do you know where that is?"

Serafina nodded. William picked up the limp boy, careful not to disturb his wounds. Serafina spouted directions, and we made our way to a threadbare-looking building. Raggedy children came in and out, holding faded cloth dolls and pointing sticks at one another.