Chapter Thirty-Four

Ken's phone pinged as he sat scrambling to finish his work so he could just go back to sleep. It was from Ryan.

================================
Ryan, my dudeeeee
I don't like how that ended. Let's pretend it never happened. 🙄

REPLY
================================

Ken raised his eyebrows at the message and quickly typed a reply.
"Life doesn't work like that 👁👄👁"

================================
Ryan, my dudeeeee
It does now.

REPLY
================================

Ken chuckled at Ryan and went back to his work. Sadly, Ken didn't care that he left Ryan on read. He thought back to what Ryan could've regretted saying.

His pencil slowed on the paper as he recalled their conversation from earlier in his head. "See this is one of the reasons I like you so much."

Ken frowned at the Ryan's voice echoing in his head. He likes me? Ok...and? I like him too we're like besties...not that I would ever say that out loud.

Ken shook his head to clear his mind. He broke the top piece of the led in his pencil and clicked two times to replenish his mechanical pencil. Now was not this time to be aimlessly thinking, it was time to work.

Ken scribbled a couple more answers on his page before his mind drifted again. "What did he mean a different kind of like? What other kind of like is there?" He frowned as he dumbly racked his mind for an answer.

Of course, he liked Ryan. He always had fun when he was around. Ken smiled, laughed, and joked around with him all the time. He was one of his closest friends.

Ken leaned back in his chair and snatched up his phone. Clicking on his photos, he scrolled through his photos looking for one of Ryan.

He finally came across one of Ryan on sitting on the swings at the park. Ryan hadn't known that Ken had the picture, but it was cute nonetheless.

Ken smiled at the photo, completely forgetting about his work. He was so focused scrolling through his phone to find the other one, he didn't realIze his door was opened.

He looked up when his mother awkwardly cleared her throat. "What are you doing up so late, Kenneth?" She smiled as she strolled over.

Ken placed his phone face down on his desk and just watched her. Her smile seemed a little tense as she released a yawn.

Ken watched as his tired mother reached her hands out and silently asked for a hug from her only son. He lifted from his seat and wrapped his arms around her.

It been a long time since Ken had been in his mother's arms. They both smiled and when Mama Ken gave her signature final squeeze.

She released him and took in his face. She let out a sigh. "I heard a little ruckus earlier. I got a little lazy and almost didn't come to check, but eventually I did," she chuckled.

"Yeah I over slept for my nap. I was scrambling to get my homework done." Ken told the partial truth as he scratched his chin.

His mother's eyes crinkled as she laughed again. "Well, I guess that's what it was. But were you just texting Barbie when I came in here?"

Ken faced dropped and he shook his head. "No? I broke up with her a little while ago."

His mom tilted her head a little. "Really?? Then, why were you grinning so hard. Was it a new girlfriend?"

Ken thought back at the picture he was looking at and hastily shook his head. "No, of course not! Why would you think that?"

"Oh well. I guess I was wrong, but it seemed like you were shining with love."

"Love?" Ken questioned.

"Yeah. That didn't look like the type of smile you just give anybody," she threw him a wink as she chuckled softly. "But I'm going to head back and rest up for tomorrow," she replied as she walked back through the door.

"Yeah rest up, mom." Ken said as she closed the door behind her.

He sunk back in his seat. He stared at his flipped over phone and frowned. "Wait." Ken picked the phone up and glared at the photo. "I look like I love Ryan?"

(A/n): how fun!!! Ken becoming the slightest bit less jdense (^-^)/ yay

Feels kind of weird to ask this when we just met his mother but smut or no smut. It's gonna be weird to have it so far into the story but I need to know before I continue any further....vote in the comments!!!! k adiosssss!!