one

life was odd. it didn't take an observant person to know this... yet nowadays, it was odder.

what once was a world where everyone was filming themselves swaying their hips and lip syncing on the internet, was now a world where basically nothing good was left.

or so it seemed.

you however, you knew that despite your normal negative thoughts plaguing every now and then~ you knew that everything had to be okay... at some point at least.

after the hellacious first half of what was supposed to be the "golden year" came to an end, everyone had assumed things would no doubt get better... you could return to a world where your only worries were targeted around paying off the debt owed to tom nook... but that was far from what happened.

democracy was dead.

and sure, some may have seen that as a good thing— hell, even you kind of did... yet no democracy meant no order. and that was just what was happening.

disorder, disarray, and disaster.

all brought upon by the many heinous lies of those in power being exposed for the public to see. for the public to rebel and riot about. with valid reason.

seeing it on the news was one thing but seeing it for yourself was completely another. the system, so corrupt and evil, were all out to get the lives of innocent people trying to survive in this hell they called earth.

you and your family were all one of them... one of the innocents... well, what was left of your family anyways. see, you once had a family. a good family, small but good.

there was your mother. sometimes you both butted heads but you loved her with all of your heart, even when it sometimes didn't seem that way. then there was your father, oh your father. overprotective was an understatement. yet still, you had adored him... and you knew his actions were always made to keep you safe.

then finally, your little brother. the little shit. okay, maybe that was harsh but to be fair, you both were on your own now and staying 24/7 with a little germ machine was your worst nightmare... still, you wouldn't trade it for the world.

the bombings were gruesome... and you remembered them as if they had happened yesterday. as if the loud sound of newfound ringing humming in your ears wasn't enough of a constant reminder, some nights you swore you could smell the gas and taste the smoke once again.

you hated it. you never got much sleep beforehand but now? now sleep was a foreign language to you, utterly unreachable.

just as your family was when the bombings happened. it all happened so fast. your mother waking you up in the middle of the night with your brother in her arms, panic set like stone in her eyes.

"come on baby, we have to go. god it's bad out there. y/n, we have to get out of here... wake. up."

you remember her voice, how shaky it was. then you all ran. fast and far, huddling together and trying to keep each other safe as you tried to escape. your brother was only a toddler at the time, three to be exact.

it was exactly why when he realized that his beloved blue teddy bear was missing, he flipped. out. his cries were probably even louder than the bombs nearing you at the time. he had thrown his weight down and didn't want to go ahead... it was why your mother went back.

she had handed your hysteric brother to you and you held him in your arms as your mother went to go search for the old bear so to quiet the child, yet she took long... and it's what triggered your father to go after her.