two

your friends didn't ask many questions when they rushed sneakily ahead in to the city from behind you. even mr. sam wasn't limping as much as you... then again his leg didn't almost get blown off in a nasty explosion.

you didn't know what was behind you all or what that thing was but... you weren't ready to find out. you had to get out of there immediately. you didn't care if there was an alien in that damned spaceship or a small, innocent child... you had a feeling that whatever it was— it could kill. you weren't ready to die. neither were your friends.

the city usually wasn't that much of a wild distance away, but after the old car you all had had failed... well let's just say the city became a wild distance away. it didn't matter though, you'd all get out and you'd all be safe... right?

the dreadful sound of what could be comparable to an explosion made you and your friends all nearly drop to the ground, clutching one another.

this felt terribly familiar.

you had your little brother safe in your arms and had given him the bag of marshmallows to aid in keeping him distracted and silent.

although honestly you were weary about feeding him considering how ridiculously heavy he was in your grasp... yet that wasn't your focus, the loud bang sound was. the loud bang sound that was alluring your mind to a place it had been all day and didn't want to be anymore. no, not now. you couldn't afford to remember right now.

after everyone had come to their senses, you all began to rush forward again... all except for archie. you turned back around when you didn't see his jet black hair beside you and were grateful to see that he wasn't being sucked on like a lollipop by some alien.

no, instead he was just... standing there. "archie!" you hissed, "you can look up at the stars later dude, come on!" he looked down at your face and shushed you before continuing what he was doing again.

"this is ridiculous." you muttered as you marched towards him. "hey buddy, hate to break it to you but we are kind of in a life or death situ—" your lips melted in to a frustrated pout when he clamped his grossly damp palm right over them... shutting you up effectively. his eyes found yours after a moment and he pointed to his ear— mouthing, "listen."

you wanted to roll your eyes and tug him ahead to somewhere safe. somewhere where you could throw your little brother down and wipe the drool and marshmallow stickiness off of you... but archie's eyes were wide with concern— as if he wanted to ensure that he wasn't crazy.

so, you did as he asked you too... you listened. you simply heard complete silence at first. complete silence alongside familiar, fierce ringing in your ears. the wind and an owl's howl was all you distantly picked up... but just as you were about to tug archie away and keep on with your escape— you heard it.

the sound of heavy footsteps, synchronized footsteps all nearing towards you both from the woods you were just roasting marshmallows beside. "oh crap..." you whispered and archie only cautiously turned and squinted his eyes to see if he could make out anything in the distance.

when his stance tensed, you decided to take a look too. your vision was terrible but it didn't take golden, 20/20 sight to see the many black masses all marching closer. immediately, your head turned to archie in panic as esme and mr. sam caught up to you both from their place ahead.

"come on now, we're almost there. you can't get tired now." mr. sam spoke through sharp and labored breaths. "y'all are about to trigger my asthma." he complained, placing his hands on his knees as he worked to catch his breath again.

it took a minute for you to snap out of your trance of shock and look at them, but you eventually did. you eventually woke up enough to know that standing still like idiots was going to get you all murdered. you'd seen enough horror movies, you didn't want to be that girl.