three

when you were seven and you had mistaken the large bottle of melatonin gummies for normal fruit snacks, consuming the whole bottle in a mere thirty minutes, an exhaustion like no other took over your entire being. till today you remember that sensation, that feeling of exhaustion just encapsulating your body. every moment you had thought you could keep your eyes open, you were dragged back under in to the darkness. you were certain you'd never feel exhaustion like that again... until now.

you didn't quite know if it was a dream or hallucination... or if maybe you had just died perhaps; but every time your eyes fluttered open for a split second, you were surrounded with bright, white luminescence all around. the scent of wherever you were staying was sterile and your body was oh so cold. christ, you must truly be dead. in heaven with your mother you hoped. you tried to make out your surroundings but before you had the chance, you were dragged in to that darkness again.

you didn't know how much time passed before your eyes fluttered open once more but, this time around the sight made your body pure steel. chilled and immobile. the masked creature from a memory distant was staring straight down at you, not moving an inch. now you knew for certain that wherever you were, it most definitely wasn't heaven. your vision blurred and you opened your mouth to try and protest when a black, gloved hand lifted in front of your sight but— once again the darkness prevailed and lulled you in to the deepest slumber you'd ever had.

☆ ★ ☆

"will she be well?"

"presumably so, sir. she seems to be stabilized for now but we can only assume that when she does awake, she may be confused or distraught. that won't be the best factor in the healing process unfortunately."

what?

a moment passed.

"i'll take care of her."

in the distance, after the blur of somewhat familiar voices faded, you could hear heavy boots against the ground and a door being closed. you wanted to move, to open your eyes at least but... you still felt so exhausted even whilst being a bit more alert.

your throat was completely void of moisture and you were freezing, alongside this— your knee. the knee never properly healed from the explosion, the knee which you were certain had cracked in two during what now felt like a fever dream... it was throbbing in pain.

you had no clue where you were but the first thing your mind drifted to was the well-being of your friends, your little brother. you could feel the tremble in your hands and the skipping of your heart, monitored by some machines. no one was with you, the door had closed... you had to wake up.

come on y/n, open your eyes.

it wasn't easy... you felt like you'd never be able to open your eyes ever again. this experience was pure hell. all your anxieties clinging to your body like remoras to a shark, but you couldn't bring yourself to move or tend to them. you couldn't get answers, not in this exhausted state.

but you knew better. you knew what would aid in jolting you awake, painful as it may be... you forced yourself to remember the events now being buried with all your other traumas in the depths of your haunted mind. your brothers cries, him hiding behind your legs in utter fear as he who may have been the devil himself stalked you both. they took him.

with that, your eyes immediately shot open and you gasped. being fully alert felt like being tossed in to the coldest waters of the arctic, so sudden and so terrifying. you squinted and blinked a few times, eyes taking a bit to adjust. when they did however, the white surrounding became clear to you... a ceiling. so you were alive?