Chapter 5

Lucien and I halted before two large immaculately carved doors of flowers and wreaths that towered between pillars of marble, designed to look like twisting vines. Neither one of us knocked before they swung open in a graceful movement. Beyond the doors lay what appeared to be a study and right in the middle at a desk made of rich dark oak sat a handsome male with tanned skin and golden hair. He too wore a mask. The was made up of golden swirls embedded with emeralds, beneath his exquisite mask where two deep green eyes. I recognised them immediately. "You're the beast." I breathed out in astonishment. He chucked as he stood from his desk making his way towards Lucien and I. "Indeed I am."

As he neared, I noticed his crisp, rain and earthen scent, like a spring day. "I am Tamlin, you have already met Lucien my right hand and emissary." Tamlin explain. "And my new friend." I included at the end causing Tamlin to raise an eyebrow at Lucien who merely shook his head attempting to hide his smile. "Aww are you embarrassed Luci?" I asked as I poked his cheek. "My name is Lucien, Arya." Lucien told me, narrowing his good eye at me. "Yeah, yeah I know your name Luci." I joked before I turned back to Tamlin giving him my hand. "It is very nice to officially meet you Tamlin, thank you for your hospitality." Tamlin nodded "Yes, you're welcome. Now you and Feyre will be free to do whatever you please during your stay here, though I do advise you be careful until you have adjusted to your newfound abilities." Tamlin sat back down behind his desk as he gestured for me to sit in front. "Now the main reason that I wanted to speak with you Arya was so that we could discover how you came to be."

Before I could respond Lucien cut in. "She claims that her mother was human, but neither her nor her mother knew who the father was. Apparently, her mother woke up one night in the woods, covered in bruises." Tamlin nodded his blonde hair shaking slightly, as he grasped his hands together in thought. "The only question is who the father is and how they got across the border." Lucien cleared his throat slightly behind me "This has the night court written all over it, it was most likely one of Rhysand's filthy subjects." Tamlins eyes hardened and I wondered who this Rhysand was. "You may be right, Lucien. But there truly is no way of knowing."

I finally decided to include myself in the conversation about me. "I for one, do not wish to know who my Father is. Whoever it is raped my Mother when she was in a fragile state and is no father to me!" Both Lucien and Tamlin stared in silence, causing me to sink down into my chair embarrassed by my outburst. But it was true I have never cared to know about my Father once I found out what he did to my Mother. It was always me and my Mother and I was content with that. I'm positive that whoever my Father is, is a horrid person. "That is understandable. But you see Arya we are only curious as it would help us to determine what abilities you may possibly inherit since it is quite obvious you are half high Fae." Tamlin explained carefully almost as if I would explode if he said the wrong word. Honestly, I was feeling a bit touchy my emotions felt a bit out of whack, probably because of the shifting. I am usually never this outspoken to people I don't know.

"It's ok, I understand. Also, I seriously doubt I have magical abilities, I can barely control myself in this new body." I laughed nervously as I clenched my fists nervously behind me, only to gasp in pain as my nails pierced my skin. "You must be careful as you adjust Arya." Lucien recommended as I displayed my hands. I blinked and my skin was healed, wow I guess being a shifter has it perks. "I will be, it'll just take a little bit of time. Thankyou Lucien." I sighed tilting my head to glance up at the ceiling.

"I do have a question though, am I able to shift back into a human?" I asked curiously bringing my gaze back to Tamlin. "You will most likely have to practice; it will be a bit of trial and error for you I'm afraid. The last of the shifters became extinct during the war. Fae are not supposed to mix with mortals anymore." I narrowed my eyes at Tamlin. "You did. That wolf did. Would you care to explain?"

"There is a sickness in Prythian; for almost 50 years now. It's the reason why it is so empty here. The blight has been spreading slowly, affecting magic ... making it act strangely. My own powers have been diminished due to it." A sickness spreading across Prythian? "The masks, is that somehow related to this illness?" I asked Tamlin, he touched his mask briefly. "There was a surge during a masquerade forty-nine years ago. We haven't been able to remove them since." "Is – what sort of sickness is it?" My stomach felt ill, what if it affected the mortal lands. "It's not a disease or a plague. It focuses solely on magic. Andras was sent across the wall in search of a cure." Tamlin explained, I could only assume Andras was the wolf. "Will it affect the mortal lands if it spreads across the wall?" I had to ask, I had to know my friends would be alright. "The magic seems to have stabilized, weakened for now. There has not be much spread for a long while now, but yes there is a chance of it affecting the mortals though they are safe for now." I sagged in relief, I hoped that a cure would be found not only for the sake of the mortals but the Fae, to have lived through such a horror for 50 years must be horrible. To think the mortals are all so clueless about the fae and what is going on across the border.

"Now Arya, it is quite late. Ilsa will show you back to your room and she will help you clean up for bed and again help you in the morning." Tamlin explained to me as he stood from his desk, it that moment the doors to the study opened and in walked an older fae female with long curly brown hair with a simply blue mask decorated with flowers. "Thank you, I really do appreciate the chance you gave Feyre and for helping me as well."

I stood from my chair and walked out following Ilsa. "Hello, my name is Arya, it is nice to meet you Ilsa." I spoke as we stopped before my room. Ilsa pushed open the doors. "It is lovely to meet you as well sweetheart. I have to say it is quite exciting to meet a real shifter, you are the gossip of the workers along with that human friend of yours." I laughed nervously "Oh I'm nothing exciting Ilsa, I only discovered what I was today. I grew up believing I was human." Ilsa chucked as she pulled out a night gown from the dresser handing it to me. "Trust me, it is very exciting Arya. Now I'll see you in the morning, you give yourself a wash and get dressed into some clean clothes. I don't want you getting any filth on the bed, less you want to get sick." I smiled as Ilsa fussed "I'll be fine Ilsa, thank you for the help." She nodded dusting her hands on her dress. "Alright then, rest well. I'll be here in the morning to help you get ready." With that said Ilsa left, leaving me alone in the huge silent room for the rest of the night.