Chapter 5

As I made my way back to my apartment, I made sure to avoid people. It was only the sensible thing to do, after all.

I traveled by the rooftops when I could, taking to the shadowy alleyways to prevent any encounters. Overall, I made it back home uninterrupted, to my relief.

If I can even call it home...

I was once again greeted with the ransacked apartment, exactly the same as I left it the night before. The front door was still open and everything, too. 

'Should I bother cleaning?'

"Do what you want. Wake me up if something interesting happens." Kurama yawned and mumbled.

'Lazy...'

"Gaki." was his snide remark before falling asleep. He just had to get the last word in. 

In the end, I decided that I might as well clean. I created about ten shadow clones and got to work.

With the help of the clones, the cleaning was finished quickly. Just in case I really was leaving the village, I packed a small bag with the few things I actually cared about, such as certain scrolls and extra clothes and such. That stupid orange jumpsuit wasn't the only thing I owned, after all, and I sure as hell wouldn't wear that thing now. I was currently in a navy blue t-shirt and zip-up hoodie and black shinobi pants and sandals, just to be prepared.

The little bag I hid in the corner of my closet, since it possessed the only objects I didn't want destroyed. I wouldn't be surprised if people came to trash this place again.

I sighed and sat in the middle of my small bedroom. All that was left was the graffiti.

I figured I wouldn't waste time on that.

Kurama's chakra stirred. "So, you cleaned up after all."

'Yeah. I packed a bag. If we have to leave quickly I just have to grab it and go.'

Kurama sighed, "I really didn't think you'd take the whole 'leave the village' thing so seriously. If anyone even finds out that you communicate with me it'll look like I'm the bad guy here."

'Well, you're not. This is my decision. You just brought up the idea I was too scared to face until now.' I rubbed my forehead, the after-effects of the villagers' cruelty still eating away at me. 'Sure, if I leave, Konoha would've lost a valuable weapon. But all the villagers would be happier without me around, and most importantly, you'd be happier.'

Kurama's eyes widened, "Don't say you're doing this for me..."

'Well, I'm doing it for me, too. I don't know how much I can take. We both need freedom, Kurama. You don't deserve to be some lapdog to this village. And I want to stop burdening this place with my existence. We'd all be happier if I left.' I thought occurred to me, and I giggled slightly, 'Just imagine how powerful this village would be if they were just nicer to the two of us. With you on their side, Konoha would be unstoppable.'

Kurama growled. "All they would've needed to do was ask."

I sweatdropped. 'Uh, Kurama. I don't know, but I get the feeling you wouldn't have given them your power even if they did ask nicely...'

"Well, they didn't need to force me! If I don't want to give away my power, it's my choice!" Kurama snarled, "Although, you're probably right, I don't give a shit about these humans..."

'Except for meee.'

"Shut up, brat."

I laughed. 'Anyways, I guess I'll stay a bit, wrap up my life in Konoha. We'll leave soon.'