Chapter 15

I didn't stop running until I was far away from the training ground. Far away from the group of people who still had the nerve to call me a friend.

Sasuke followed silently. His solid presence kept me anchored in reality, there to reassure me that he was there.

In a way, Sasuke was a lot like Kurama.

"Don't compare me to that gaki."

'Hm. Both of you are there when I need you. Both of you never abandoned me. You have a lot more in common than you think.'

"Whatever kit..."

I sighed. I knew he agreed, even if he denied it. After all, he calls me kit.

Finally, we ended up on the Hokage monument. I stood on the head of the Fourth. My father. I never revealed this fact to anyone, and I don't think I should now. It's unnecessary. 

Sasuke just stood next to me. He sat down and tugged at my sleeve, forcing me to sit down too. As soon as I did he grabbed my head and rested it on his shoulder. I closed my eyes.

"You don't need them." Sasuke whispered. "Neither of us do."

"It's not their fault - "

"That doesn't matter." Sasuke cut in, "I don't care whose fault it is. But they can't hurt you anymore. That's all I care about."

I chuckled, still leaning against him. "You've become a wise old man, Sasuke Uchiha."

"Tch. Shut up, dobe."

I opened my eyes and bonked him on the back of the head, "Teme."

He rolled his eyes and poked me on the forehead. I yelped and rubbed my forehead. His eyes softened and grew distant, as if he was remembering something. I don't know what, but I recognized the faraway expression on his face. I'd seen it before, on both my face and his. I wrapped an arm around his shoulders and pulled him in close, laughing at his pout.

"You're my best friend, Sasuke. That's all I care about."

Shikamaru POV~

I don't know if what I did was the right thing or not. Based on Naruto's reaction, I'm guessing it wasn't. 

I sighed. Naruto was much better off without us. I knew that now.

Choji, who was walking beside me, caught my sigh and asked, "Whatcha thinking about?"

"Nothing important." I said. Choji just shrugged and went back to eating his chips, offering me one too. I accepted it and found myself feeling grateful that I became friends with Choji. People always dissed him for being overweight. Not many people cared to see how kind he really was.

I wondered if Naruto felt the same with Sasuke. After all, both of them knew much greater pain than us. Maybe that connected them on a level none of us could comprehend.

I groaned mentally. It was a pain to think about. Might as well just leave them alone. 

Apparently, Sakura didn't have the same idea.

"We have to make it up to Naruto. Idiot won't listen, though!"

Me and several of the others sweatdropped. If she was so concerned with apologizing to Naruto, why call him an idiot too? 

What was the apology for? Was it sincere?

Or just self-satisfaction?

"Maybe we just just back off a little. I mean, he's having a hard time - "