Chapter # 8

"Jessica, Meet my cousin, Melissa." Aiden introduced me to her. I flashed a smile at her and shook hand with her,

"Hey! I have heard about you from Aiden. Nice to meet you." She said excitedly. She reminds me of Aiden; Enthusiastic.

"Hmm." I coldly replied. Her smile faded away as I rolled my eyes, "If you excused me, I have some guests to attend." I said nonchalantly and walked away as Aiden gave me a weird look.

If I have to stop this, I have to push myself away from him and everything that can pull me close to him. I have to confiscate my feelings. I need to control my feeling and pull myself as far as I can from Aiden, even if my heart hurts in the process, I have to, it will be better for both of us.

 For the rest of the party, I continued to ignore Aiden and his cousin as I engrossed myself in other stuff. Just how much of an oblivious person he is, he didn't notice anything and shrug it off as I am not feeling well.

I was enjoying my drink in solitude but Aiden came and smiled, "Hey, Come let's dance." He offered.

"You are a bad dancer." I said taking a sip of my drink.

"That's why I have asked no one but you. Come, it's fun dancing with you."

"Look at my shoes, I have no intentions of hurting my feet." I said void.

"What happened? Why are-" He was cut off by his cousin interrupting, "Hi, What are you doing guys?" She asked, putting her hand on Aiden's shoulder while her hazel eyes were glimmering.

"I am just asking Jessica for a dance." She burst into laughter when she heard it, "You? Dance? Oh, leave it, you can't do it."

"Oh, Like you can dance." He scoffed.

"I get it I can't. But, there are things more important than dance." She said with a smirk.

"Like?" He asked.

"Other stuff, like talking, drinking rather than dancing in the classical old way. Socializing."

"There's a reason why it is called a social dance." I said- almost taunt. They both turned their head towards me.

"But, I prefer hip-hop." Melissa whined.

"Me too." Aiden said.

"It's about socializing with people which cannot be done by your hip-hop dance." I said monotonously as a silence fell upon us.

There was a brief pause between us but soon Melissa dragged Aiden away. My heart clenched when he wasn't here no more but I swallowed that feeling and remained stoic.

The rest of the party went casual as I avoided Aiden as much as possible and watched how his cousin clung onto him. Urgh! Stop! She is just a cousin.

For the next few days, everything went normal. We hangout and there is an addition of a new person; Melissa. She just came after completing her graduation and now is looking forward to doing further studies. As far as I have known her, I think she likes Aiden more than a cousin. Maybe it's because I am being paranoid or just overthinking but I just can't shrug this thought off.

The way Melissa talks with Aiden, the way her face gleams to see him. Everything is pushing me deep into those abysmal thoughts. And they both are so similar, liking the same stuff.

Right now, me and Melissa are in a garden waiting for others to come. As we walked around in silence, She asked, "Do you like Aiden?" I stopped in my tracks and stiffed. A shiver went down my spine when I heard it. My heart began to hammer against my chest. Please ask anything but not that. It's answer is too much for me to give.

"Hmm?" She asked leaning in as I took a step back and lowered my gaze. For a second, I remained silent as a flood of questions roamed in my mind causing a disruption in it.

I slowly lifted my gaze after collecting my thought and courage and came back to my cold gaze again which I have been using for the past few weeks to push myself away from Aiden.

"No. I don't." I said in a low voice as my heart felt stabbed upon saying that.

"Oh.." She said, pitting her index finger under her chin and I asked her, "And you?" I instantly regret saying that as the fear of hearing 'yes' clouded my mind with terror. She looked at me for a second and began to nibble on her bottom lip as a nervous aura spread around her. She does.

"Yes.. even if my his cousin but still... I love him. Can you help me?" She gave me an expectant look. I was stiff and couldn't comprehend the things around me. I curled my hand in a fist and turned my head away.

"Hey!" Aiden came with John and smiled sweetly as always. I stare at him for a second as all the emotions of heartbreak I have felt rushed in my every vein. I narrowed my eyes and held Melissa's hand, "I will try whatever I can." I said and took a step back. I turned and saw Aiden standing beside me. I gave him a piercing gaze and took a step back, "I am done. I am going home." I said and walked away. Everyone seemed taken aback by my action but I didn't care.

When my back faced them, a tear rolled onto my cheek followed by a silent stream of them. I closed my eyes and inhaled the fresh breeze hoping it would give me some tranquility but no avail as I am lost in my misery and no one can drag me out of this. The ravage I am going through, no one can understand it. I am breaking painfully and slowly, the devastation of love is too much for me to handle, I don't think I can bear this tribulation anymore, it's getting harder and harder day by day for me.

I wiped my tears and was about to leave but someone held my arm and pulled me. I lifted my watery gaze and met a dire gaze of yellowish-brown gems, staring intensely at me.

"Why are you crying?" Aiden asked seriously.

"It's just your imagination." I replied in a voice a little louder than a whisper because I know if I speak anymore only a sob will escape my lips.

His expression softened for a second as he asked, "What happened Jessica? Why are you going? Is everything okay?"

"I am fine. I am going home because I have a lot of other things to do rather than hanging out." I said in cold blood.

"Of all people you are saying this. Don't lie. Tell me." he asked again, being serious.

"It has nothing to do with you Aiden. I have to go home." I said angrily, yanking my arm away from his grip. He stood there stunned by my behaviour. I turned again and left.

I am sorry. I have to do it.

I have to obliterate every path that can lead me to you or else it would be fatal for both of us.