Motive

We're a week away from Christmas and we have three days left of work before everyone is off for two weeks. Shisui's been on my detail since the incident with Obito, and I haven't even seen Obito aside from passing in the hallways here at the office. Monday after we were found in bed together he was sporting a black eye and a busted lip. Today I was meeting with Itachi to review the drug trial results, which only had two weeks left before we made a decision on how to proceed.

In the last three weeks, Madara has had me working from home aside from Mondays and Wednesdays. Tuesdays and Thursdays I was at the mansion doing nothing but twiddling my thumbs and exploring the place. Fridays I spend locked into my rooms trying not to have a mental breakdown before my show at the restaurant.

I was thankful Madara was out of town for the day today, driving to Kiri of all places. He said he'd be back tonight and to meet him in the billiard room at ten. The billiard room was becoming my least favorite room these days. It was as though every time I entered the room I couldn't leave it unscathed. Some kind of deal was made every damn time I was there, silent or verbal.

I made my way to Itachi's office and knocked lightly before entering after I heard him tell me to. Itachi gave me his dazzling smile and I returned it warily. I was exhausted and I'm sure my demeanor and expressions gave it away to those who took time to notice. Shisui had definitely noticed and begged me to relax and take time to myself. I told Shisui I was fine and I just needed to get some decent sleep. Why wasn't I sleeping? Madara refused to share a bed with me at the moment, ever since Obito, and I was just waiting for him to reclaim what he felt was his: me.

"You always look amazing in red," Itachi noted as we sat on his couch.

I shook my head lightly as I kicked off my shoes, "Thank you, Tachi." I was wearing a red, wool dress today, warm and soft against my skin.

Itachi handed me a copy of the drug trial folder and we both opened them to begin reviewing the information. "Cancelled," Itachi mumbled.

"Who would've authorized this? And why weren't we told?" I asked as I flipped through everything.

Itachi seemed just as confused as I was, "It looks like Madara canceled it sometime last week." Just as he said the words I noticed the same note that Orochimaru has entered saying as much.

"But why?" I mused as I continued reading, though no explanation was given. Then I found the reason, "showing signs of dependency." I whispered. My suspicion was looking more and more like the truth. The drug trial was a cover-up to test the addictive principles of this drug so they could begin illegally selling it, and monopolize it since they manufactured it. A genius plan, but a dangerous one.

Itachi went to speak but his office door was slammed open, "There you are!" Sasuke exclaimed as he looked at me.

I stood quickly, "Is Sakura okay? The baby?" I was always worried something would happen to Sakura or the baby, and the expression Sasuke's face had me panicking.

"They're fine," Sasuke seemed to compose himself as he stood straighter. Itachi stood now and we looked to his brother eagerly, "Naruto's been shot."

The noise disappeared and I felt Itachi's hands at my waist. I saw Sasuke move closer and he was talking but nothing registered. I pulled away from them both and took off running to my office. I grabbed my bag and ran to find Shisui who was in his own office. I didn't explain anything as I grabbed my keys from his desk and took off down the hall to the elevators. I heard them yelling for me but I didn't stop until I was on the elevator and headed downstairs.

I heard the echo of feet behind me but I didn't care, nor did I look back. I was about to pull the driver's side door open when a hand was slammed onto it. "I'll drive." My tear-streaked face looked over my shoulder and the normally stoic and indifferent face of Sasuke was scrunched with worry. I only nodded as I walked around the car and got in.