IV | Things Have Changed

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐔𝐍𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐄𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐄

4 | "things have changed."

ℵ

   MARTHA WAS BACK in Forks, Washington...

   On the way back to her home town, she had the sudden urge to stuff her face with a burger from the small town diner. It had been a proper minute since she had a greasy, loaded, cheeseburger. Plus, now that her dance career was temporarily paused, or over in her opinion, she could pig out and indulge on the things she missed.

   The overhead bell chimed with her entrance, many faces brightening in surprise at seeing her familiar face back so soon. Everyone was sure Martha would be one of the lucky bastards to get out of the small town and make something of herself. Now, seeing her walking to the counter with a muscle t-shirt and black yoga pants was bewildering to say the least.

   "Well, If it isn't the little dancer!" Cora, a woman who's worked at this diner for as long as she could remember, greeted her with a wide grin. "How're you, Martha?"

   "Would be better if I had one of Waylon's burgers," She batted her big brown eyes, smiling sweetly towards the woman.

   Cora shook her head, writing it down before tearing the scribbled note off the pad. "For Forks' very own superstar, you've got it." She winked before going into the kitchen, leaving Martha with the stairs and whispers of the towns people.

   She wondered how much had changed since she was here last. They had the Christmas decorations up for the upcoming holiday, reminding Martha of fun winter nights at Billy Black's house with her grandfather. She mostly hung out with the twins, Rebecca and Rachel. The dancer wondered if they were still around that red makeshift house.

   Cora came back out with a large brown paper bag in her hand. Martha pondered why it was so big until the sweet waitress shoved it to her with a wink. "I put in some extra steak fries for you. It's on me."

   Martha frowned, immediately objecting. "Oh, no. No you don't. I can very well pay for this Cora." But the beautiful ebony woman wouldn't have it.

   "I know you can, but take this as a token of small town lovin'." The young dancer sighed, shoulders slumping as she gratefully accepted the heavy sum of food. The aroma of grease was making her stomach grumble and mouth water. She simply couldn't wait any longer and settled on letting Cora pay for it.

   "Only because I'm ready to sink my teeth into this," She pointed scornfully at the woman, turning on her heel to go back to her car. Yes, she drove all the way here. A long, excruciating, fifteen hour drive. Though it was lengthy, it was easier to bring all her stuff over from her apartment in her big, old Tahoe. Plus, she wouldn't have to fly her car over.