Life Gets A Talking To

Emotions are never easy. Never.

°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°°

"Alex," Arthur said gently but firmly as he entered the library.

Alex looked up from her research books. She was trying to find out who and what lived in the part of the woods where Arthur was found. When she saw the look in Arthur's eyes, she set her book down and patted the seat next to her.

He sat down and Alex looked back down at her book.

"Alex," he repeated, this time more gentle. "We need to talk."

Alex knew what that meant.

"Arthur," she said, setting her book on the side table that was already piled high with other books. There was even a small stack by the floor. "I haven't been intentionally avoiding you-"

"It sure seems like it." Arthur didn't raise his voice. He remained calm and collected with a slight smirk on his face that really ticked Alex off.

"Well, I haven't." she said, busying herself with pushing the books at her feet into a neater pile. "I've been busy. When we were dreaming I was all yours, but when we aren't dreaming I actually have a job. I know you can't go back to Camelot, so you don't have one, but I do." She was lying, but she really didn't want to admit she had been avoiding him.

"Wow, Alex," Arthur said, knowing this was less about spending time with him and more about how much work was on Alex. "I realize you have a job, and I'm here to help."

He picked up one of the books near her feet and started looking in it. Alex looked at him for a moment before going back to research. She knew he was only doing this so she would feel less overwhelmed and they could spend time together. And she appreciated it, but she knew he also wanted to talk about something.

"Arthur," she said after a moment. "I really don't understand what changed. You just showed up in my dreams and it was great- until you went missing. Then I had to tell my brother and mom, and, Arthur- you should've seen the look on my mom's face. She was disappointed that I hadn't told her. I'm her only daughter and she's waited for years to be part of this part of my life. And now that I'm ruling another dimension, when I dump something like this on her, she doesn't take it well. Merlin and Mother Goose were there, they know, but it came as a shock to my family."

"I know, Alex," Arthur said soothingly, knowing Alex was on the verge of a breakdown. Her emotions were high, the highest they'd been since the curse. It wasn't that Arthur was scared of it coming back, but he was afraid of the consequences it would bring after the fact. "That's why I want to know your family. I want to be part of your life. Our time in Camelot was more than a summer love and you know that."

Alex took his words to heart. Her heart was warmed by the fact that he wanted to be part of her life. But she also did a double-take at 'summer love'. She had, without realizing, classified her time in Camelot as a summer love. She hadn't really thought about the affect of her actions, or if they would last. She just did what her heart told her to, and this is where it landed her. She was confused about their relationship for a split second before knowing in her heart what it really meant to her.

-

~ edited 25/6/2022