'Going Steady'

Curveballs can still curve in the right direction.

°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°°

Alex stood on the balcony with the wind in her hair. They had gone through all the books in the library that would have to do with the forest, and came upon nothing. It was extremely frustrating.

Arthur found his way to the balcony and stood next to Alex. She leaned into him for comfort.

"I wish we could get you home and get everything to how it was before! I don't know why everything has stopped all of a sudden, but it has and it's worrying me!" Alex said, her emotions still high.

"You want to be rid of me?" Arthur asked sarcastically, nudging her shoulder and making her laugh. He had missed her laugh. She hadn't used it in so long, he had begun to worry. Now it felt like a weight was lifted off his shoulders.

"No, you know that answer," she said, her small smile fading. "I just want everything the way it was before."

"That would mean I would be in Camelot."

"I know."

"Oh, so you do want to get rid of me!"

"No," Alex said with a little giggle. "I just want everyone in their proper place until we figure this out."

"I understand,"

At first Alex was skeptical as to whether he truly did understand, but one look at his determined face and she was sure. Her heart was warmed by his effort on her behalf.

"You know we still haven't talked things over," Arthur started hesitantly.

Alex was ready for this subject, though.

"I'm just unsure of what changed between dreams and now," she said, directing everything to him. She wanted to hear from him, not always her.

"Alex, I know things in our dreams were different, but I also know why you are hesitant now."

Arthur always had a way of making Alex say her feelings.

"I do want to meet your family, the rest of it that is, and I do want to get to know them. It means a lot to me if we're going to be going steady."

Alex sometimes had to remind herself not to laugh at Arthur's vocabulary. He was from a different universe, she couldn't judge. But it was still funny to her and a small giggle escaped her lips.

"What?" Arthur asked with a hint of a smile.

"'Going steady' isn't something we say in this day and age, Arthur." she said, now full-on laughing. It seemed like the tiniest thing had sparked a fire. She had wanted something to laugh at, and now that Arthur had supplied one, she was laughing.

And for the first time in a long time, Arthur blushed a tiny bit. This only made Alex laugh harder.

"Going steady," she said, she kept laughing. "Going steady," she said, mimicking Arthur's voice but in a much deeper version.

"What's going on?" an overprotective brother said from the stairs where he entered the balcony. "What's so funny, Alex?"

"He said 'going steady'," Alex said in between laughs, pointing at a very confused Arthur.

Conner looked at Arthur. "You did?" he asked, barely able to contain his laughter. Arthur turned a little brighter shade of pink. That only made Conner laugh harder, too.

Both the twins were laughing for a solid time before Bree came to join the fun.

"What's going on, guys?" she asked, eyeing the twins oddly.

"Arthur said 'going steady'," Conner said between laughs and giggles.

But Bree didn't start laughing. She just looked at the twins with a look of confusion.

"So?" she asked.

Alex and Conner were laughing too hard to respond, so Arthur answered, finally getting his runaway blush under control.

"They think it's hilarious because you don't say that nowadays," he said.

"I say that." Bree's sentence was enough to stop the laughter. Conner and Alex looked at her.

"You do?" Conner asked.

"Yep. It's not that weird, Arthur," Bree said, patting him on the shoulder and walking back inside.

"I like her," Arthur muttered under his breath, waiting for the twins to calm down.

-

~ edited 25/6/2022