by the pricking of my thumbs

CHAPTER 17: by the pricking of my thumbs

Rosalie stared into the mirror, hard, challenging. She was fighting with the fluttering heartbeat, which was making the line of her eyeliner unsteady and crooked. This was the third go, and she really couldn't be bothered to spend any longer than this on the project.

It was stupid, that her hands were shaking and her stomach was queasy and she kept getting so distracted in her own thoughts that she was running behind on getting ready. Harry was going to come get her, first, just since it was on the way. He was bringing Callum along as well, though, so she had two impressions to worry over.

She'd planned to do smooth, sleek, rounded waves in her hair that would make Talia proud, but she'd started considering that maybe she should wear her magenta top. It made a statement, and maybe she ought to act as if nothing was out of the ordinary, nothing was worrying her. But she'd thought so long that the curler had left a dent in her hair, so instead she'd switched to the straightener and had ended up tiring her arms by having to tease some rocker messy hair.

Now, Rosalie had her hair perfectly disheveled, a deep burgundy peplum tank that cut low in the front and flowed down to her waist. She'd chosen black jeans, black heeled boots, her black purse, and her darkest plum lippy, and now was giving her final go for a winged liner look, when the bell went.

"Come in," Rosalie spoke as soon as Harry's phone picked up, "I'm not done with my eyeliner and I've just gotten comfortable."

Her index finger tapped the red key and then rose back to her eye, holding the skin taut before swiftly tracing a neat line, the second of the night. Both hands dropped, cramping, and her skin felt tingly as she finally let it go.

Harry stepped into the doorway stiffly, hands shoved into the pockets of his trousers. He looked handsome, but not too much. He'd probably fit nicely with the clothes the other lads were sporting, and his hair was tidied but still crooked in the usual spots.

She wanted to touch the side of his head, his cheek, his jaw. Instead, Rosalie's face flushed before she could stop it, and she ducked her head to put away her makeup.

Harry let out a sound that fell between a breath and a chuckle, and Rosalie chanced a quick glance up to see his hands were out of his pockets. They were balled into fists and he quickly swiped his palms down his trousers, drying them before he reached out and held on to Rosalie's upper arms, softly before he pulled her towards him slightly, until she melted into his chest, pressing her forehead against his.

They looked at each other, both going sort of crosseyed and fighting off smiles, noses pressed together and breath hot on their faces. He tilted his head, quickly catching a kiss from her before they moved apart again. Rosalie quickly pushed back, this time landing her lips on his and leaning into it, sliding her arms up between them to hold his jaw.

Rosalie and Harry pulled back for air, Rosalie's eyelashes tickling the bridge of Harry's nose as she lowered herself off her toes. She blinked up at him, her face unreadable as she said, "You didn't even say hello yet."

Harry shrugged, his arms resting low around her back as he said, "Hello," and pressed his lips against hers again. As he pushed into her, Rosalie's arms tightened around his neck, and she broke their kiss with a laugh as he pushed her back. Harry grinned down at her with her head thrown back, the hair pushed out of her face as it lit up and her eyes blinked open.

"We'll be late," Rosalie pointed out, stepping back just a bit and straightening her top out before turning to her bed. She grabbed a jacket and her bag, both of which were laid out on the foot of her bed, and turned back to Harry with a slight tilt to her head. "Ready?"

He nodded, straightening up and turning towards the door. "Mind sending Cal a text to let him know we're heading down to the carpark?"

"Yes, actually." Rosalie answered quickly, taking Harry by surprise. He met her eyes with a laugh, pressing the elevator button and stepping back to stand beside her. She gave him a dazzling smile and a wink before waving her phone at him theatrically and typing away.

The lift dinged as they dropped past each floor, standing side by side and not speaking, not touching but close enough to feel. "You excited?" Rosalie asked finally, turning her head to face Harry with a soft look on her face.

He reached his arm out, his hand tugging slightly on the bottom of her blouse, pulling her to face him more as he rested his hand on her waist. "Yeah, it'll be fun I'm sure. Always is."

"You've raised so much money, must be a big accomplishment for you I can imagine." She encouraged, looking down at his arm and then back up at Harry, wrapping her hand around his upper arm and moving a little closer, so she was warmer without her jacket.

"I'm proud and all, but I don't really feel keen on going out much tonight." Harry shrugged again, meeting Rosalie's eyes as she considered this admission. 

"What would you rather be doing?" She asked, tilting her head, letting some of her long red hair tickle the part of his arm that his sleeve didn't cover.

Harry leaned in towards Rosalie a little more, resting his head against hers and closing his eyes. "More of this, I guess."

She laughed, and Harry peeked at her. Rosalie reached up and put her hands on either side of his neck, pulling him to her lips. Harry kissed her back, fingers tightening on her sides. Rosalie pulled back an inch, staring down at his nose as she tried to slow her heart rate.

"We should go, for an hour at least, right?" Rosalie reasoned, her fingers sliding into Harry's hair, pulling him close. "Then I can feel ill. You're my ride home, we can head out."

"They'll know," Harry said back, and she knew he was right. She didn't respond.

"We should go." Rosalie repeated, pulling back more to look into his eyes. "This is such an accomplishment, it could seem ungrateful."

Harry nodded. He knew she was right, too. The lift dinged again, and then slowly separated as they reached the final floor before theirs. The lift started to move, then stopped, and then the doors began to separate.

Rosalie reached over, pressing the DOOR CLOSE button. She held it with her finger, turning to face Harry. "Two hours." She again tilted her head, this time like she was making a deal. Harry tried not to smile at her, smile as he conceded defeat. 

"Fine." He pouted, hands in his pockets. Rosalie used her free hand to tug lightly on the front of his shirt so he stepped forwards, their chests bumping each other. They moved in quickly, held the kiss for an extra second, and then Rosalie stepped back, grinning at him before she turned around and let her finger off the button.

She exited the lift, Harry on her heels, and started towards Harry's car across the parking garage. Harry unlocked in, the lights flicking, and followed Rose to the passenger side of the car, his hand reaching to grab the door first. Rosalie scoffed, raised her eyebrows, and then froze. She'd been distracted by something over Harry's shoulder, and her teasing smile had melded into a blank facade.

"Something wicked this way comes." Rosalie mumbled, ducking into the seat and turning towards the stereo to fiddle with the music settings as Harry was left to turn, to catch sight of Callum walking towards the car, his hand low on the waist of a girl with hair dyed fire engine red.