Saving The Savior

Y/n's Point of View, 2013, Guatemala

I arrived safely in the city, hoping to find people in a search and rescue mission I was sent to, despite the fact that I'm not "search and rescue worthy." I hop off the helicopter and slap the side a few times.

 "Y/n, it's good to see you helping." An officer said. "Your peers told me a lot about you, and we invited you here for a mission."

 "Thank you, sir. I haven't been to Guatemala, I figured it would be hell, but they got a portal to hell instead."

The officer showed me to a large base camp, where tents had engineers, rescue workers, and other personnel who were hoping to save lives. He opened up a tent and motioned me in.

A woman with brown hair, a beret, and sunglasses stood and looked to the officer. "What is this for?"

 "He is going to be your sidekick." He confidently chuckled.

 "No, no."

 "Alright. He is going to be your companion for this." The officer patted my back and smiled.

I hold my hand out and smile under my balaclava. "Ma'am."

 "I don't do hands, and I don't work with a team. I would never work with a man who hides his past with a balaclava." The woman spat.

I put my hands up and back up. "Fair enough. May I have your name, though?"

 "Call me Bosak. No first names on the first day." Bosak seemed to hate me for no apparent reason. 

 "Tough to crack, eh?" I snicker and nod. "Call me by my codename, Sunshine."

 "What did you call me?" Bosak aggressively asked.

 "Chill out. That's my codename, I know, it's not intimidating, but I grew with it."

 Bosak scoffed and tossed me a gun. "Gear up, we need to patrol the perimeter."

 I nod and let the officer take my place. He asked Bosak to be nice, but the woman denied his request. I shove a magazine in the M16a1 I was given and kiss the barrel.

 "Officer, no need to talk it out with her, I can handle hazing and tomfoolery."

 Bosak turned to me and placed a finger on my chest. "We are doing no tomfoolery when I'm near. We strive to win, protect-"

 "And dare, because those who dare, win. I got it." I strap the Glock into a holster and walk outside of the tent. "Why me?"

 Bosak came out a minute later in her gear. Her brown jacket had a Poland patch on the shoulders, along with her magazine carrier.

 "This way." Bosak led me to an empty street. "Ground rules. One, don't talk to me unless you have a question. Two, stay together, we don't want to separate in this town. Three, respond immediately when you hear something."

 "Yes ma'am." I keep quiet on our little journey through the streets, which were about to fall in the sinkhole. "When did you join GROM? I noticed a Poland patch on your person."

 Bosak snarled and smiled eventually. "When I was eighteen. Was that all?"

 I hum in response and spot small footprints in the mud. "I got a lead, fresh prints heading to the sinkhole. This could be dangerous."

 "Keep an eye out, we don't know if it's a child or a bad guy tricking us." Bosak held her assault rifle up and cleared the door. "Nobody."

 "Copy. Peeking this building." I slowly open the door and check every corner. I turn on a flashlight and search one last time. "This room is clear. RTB for regroup and assess our findings."