10. Returning Back

With the night sky hovering outside, I sneakily climbed out of my window and began rushing towards the back gates. Upon reaching them, I huffed as I eyed the elderly guard and his wife with wary.

"Please, just let me escape," I pleaded, looking at Mrs Muneer. Mr Muneer-the elderly guard- had been our family guard for so many years. He was old and fatherly. In fact, I often had Pinky take warm muffins and tea to Mr Muneer. He was a soft person; very loyal to our family, and I knew to convince him to deceive Iyaz would be near impossible. Yet, I knew Pinky could. Oh, how I missed that friend of mine. Pinky had been such a wise shoulder for me. And sadly, I had been too late to listen to her advice.

Nearly on the brim of crying, I watched as Mrs Muneer gave me a sympathetic look and spoke, "My daughter, don't cry. There is a train that leaves in an hour down the west side of the town. Take it and go home. Muneer will handle Mr Iyaz here. You just go and take care of yourself. I know you are suffering majorly, and I won't allow your pain to be put on my conscience. Go!"

"Oh, thank you so much, Mrs Muneer," And with that, I was rushing out of the gates, into the night shadows. My mind was in a tangled mess as I ran down the busy streets and stopped a cab.

The cab seemed to have a rather creepy aura, yet I didn't care as I ordered for the cab driver to take to the west side train station. My plan was to rush back home to my parent. No more looking to hide my pain from them, I wanted their embrace and support. I had been crushed enough to not being able to deal with Iyaz' psychotic ways all by myself. He was a messed up, deranged man; possessive, cruel, and a liar I was hating how he had me completely fooled.

Upon reaching the train station, I handed over the driver some change and rushed to book a seat. After booking a ticket, it took 20 minutes for my journey back home to begin. And soon, I was rocketing back and forth in a shabby train, riding all the way back to my parents. Finally!

Huge tears were falling down my face as I stood on the front porch of my parent's house, waiting for someone to open the door.

"Yes?" My mom curiously opened the door, and her expression turned wide at my sight. "Mahira, what are you doing here?"

"Mama, he is so much a mess!" I cried, immediately moving forward to hold my mom close. She returned the gesture.

"There, there, my child," She cooed. "It will be alright. Now come in. Let's get you settled in." I loved how instead of pondering me with questions, Mom was looking to take care of me first. She had always been there for me, and running back to her warm arms was the best decision I could ever make. My family was the best, and I felt like, for the first time in a long while, that everything was just going to turn out fine. I could get through this.

The next couple of days went by with my family worrying about my sudden appearance and allowing me some space. They hadn't forced me to tell them anything, yet, once, when sobbing to my mom, I had told her everything. She had no insight, wise words at that moment, just warm soothing support, but that was all I needed.

Now walking downstairs from my room, I headed towards my lounge, drinking a cup of tea. I was in a healing mood, nowadays.

Walking into the lounge, I saw that my father had already left for work, with my mom sitting on the long sofa, having an old journal placed on her knees. At my arrival, she gave me a tender smile and gestured me to sit beside her. I obeyed.

"Morning, Mom," I spoke, sitting beside her. She didn't reply as she eyed one picture with a rather nostalgic gleam in her eyes.

"Mahira" She replied after a few minutes, making me look at her curiously. "Do you remember your first painting?"