7. Past Memories

To care for someone means to endure their ways and be by their side. Yet, sometimes, being there for someone means allowing their scars to wound you, while they use your comfort to take care of others.

Eyeing the food table with a forlorn expression, I decided to pay Iyaz a visit at his office. He had never skipped lunch with me, so his absence-today-was bothering me extremely. Albeit, Iyaz had called home to excuse his absence, assured me about the provision of lunch at his office and ordered the cook to make sure that I don't skip a meal because of him. Yet, somehow, my heart wasn't content on eating alone. I didn't trust his office-people of fully taking care of his health and wanted to make sure that Iyaz did eat something at his office.

Thus, having Pinky quickly pack me some dinner for two, I called my driver 'Yasir' and had him drive me to Iyaz's office. Iyaz didn't really like me travelling alone. He was wildly protective, yet desperate times called for desperate measure. I mean Iyaz and I had a set routine; where he made sure that I didn't eat alone. Disturbing that routine was unacceptable. In fact, these meal-times were the moment we got to pretend that everything was okay and live in the bubble that we were happy, that there were no secrets or lies, so I wasn't going to let any work schedule disturb that, especially when Iyaz was the boss of his own empire.

Upon reaching Iyaz's office building, I stepped out of the car, with the Lunch tin, wrapped in a red checker cloth, held firmly in my hand and began walking towards the entrance of the building. Smiling with pride at how Iyaz's hard work had really paid off, I stepped inside the building and nervously glanced around at the huge amount of people rushing around in the building. Everybody seemed so efficient, busy and determined.

Trying not to let the huge crowd overwhelm me, I simply lowered my head and began making my way towards the private lift. Iyaz had this lift built only for himself, yet he had commanded me to take that lift whenever I decided to come to visit him. Albeit, I wasn't allowed to interfere in his office matters because he didn't like my mind to stress over which weren't of my concern, so my visits to this place were extremely rare for me. Yet, whenever I did decide to pay him a visit, he would make sure people got to know that I was the queen of this empire. He made people treat me as the boss and wouldn't tolerate any disrespect or neglect towards me. It was beyond sweet, to say the least.

Getting inside the private lift, I grinned as the lift finally took me to Iyaz's floor and excitedly rushed out of it. His floor was extremely beautiful. It had a huge waiting area, a reception corner and two rooms; one meant to serve as his office and other as his relaxing room which consisted of a library corner filled to the brim with my favourite books.

Upon seeing the reception area empty, I decided to head straight towards Iyaz's office room. There were no people in the waiting area, so I didn't feel bad about barging in. I found it extremely wrong when people used their personal ties to get ahead of others so took special care of not letting my ties with Iyaz influence my dealing with other people. Anyhow, after giving a subtle knock and opening the office door, I jumped as several people began clapping with excitement.

"Surprise!"

"What the heck?" I looked around and saw Iyaz, along with some of his colleagues, was holding bouquets in their hands. There were gifts placed in one corner.

"Iyaz, what is going on?" I felt so shocked, happy and confused about what was about.

"Umm...this isn't for-" His secretary began speaking, but Iyaz was quick to step forward.

"Silent!" He snapped at his secretary and then gave me a massive grin.

"I wanted to surprise you, bella. Though I am not happy that you disobeyed my orders, but I missed your graduation ceremony so decided to lure you here." Everyone seemed weirdly silent as Iyaz stepped closer to me.

"Really?" I was so confused, slightly laughing a bit in awe and denial. Why now when my graduation ceremony had happened a month ago? Also, he had already apologised for that by taking me out for having lunch at a five-star restaurant.

Iyaz stood next to me, as everyone then started handing me presents. I was in so much awe and happiness. Aw, Iyaz...so this was the reason he had skipped a meal, because he wanted to surprise me. This man...he was so sweet.

Happily, with a shy smile, I accepted the bouquets while Iyaz towered beside me. Everyone had started congratulating me for a good job. These untimely surprises were just the best. I loved them.

"Pa-" Someone called from behind us. I was about to turn around when Iyaz pulled on the lunch box in my hand with a gentle smile.

"What is that, Mahira?"

"I brought you food," I shyly announced, looking up to see him staring behind us with a slightly clenched jaw.

"Your smile is enough to brighten my day." He looked at me again, an expression so full of adoration and affection.

"Umm..." There was a crowd listening to me being so sweetly praised. I felt so shy and adored.

"You, guys, can leave now." He gave the crowd a stern and strict look, causing everyone to literally sprung out of the room. I laughed with amusement. All of these people had been so sweet.

"Come," Iyaz then gave me the sweetest smile. "Let me just grab my laptop bag. I am taking you out for lunch at Salt and Pepper. You can leave the lunch box on my desk." He announced, making me lower my head once again and shyly walked up to his desk. I felt so shy when he decided to spent loads of money on me. He was a spender, and he loved spending on buying things for me.

Hesitantly placing the tin on his desk, I kept grinning as I now eyed the huge gift boxes placed in one corner.

"Wait! Are these gifts for me?" I gasped, childishly clapping my hands in excitement.

"Of course. In fact, we will only open them once we return back from the restaurant," he smiled, chuckling at my antics. I blushed.

"Of course."

He quickly grabbed his laptop bag and then grabbed my hand, as he then began leading me out of his office room.

"O-Okay," I nodded, still blushing with happiness. This surprise, these change of events had been so sweet.

"Now, let's buy go and buy us some food," he joked.

"But we will come back and eat the food bought from our home, too" I bargained, making him let out a throaty laugh.

"Of course."

His building was still as busy as ever, and I felt slightly nervous at the sight of so many people. Though, all these people were Iyaz's workers, but I still felt shy under the scrutiny. Iyaz was quick to smile down at me in assurance.

"It's okay, Mahira. Don't worry, I will always protect you. You are safe here with me."

Iyaz had been such a sweet person. Too bad, his adorable moments from the past were only part of my misery now. Even when hurt by his betrayal-left deceived by his schemes-I was reminiscing memories of the past. My mind truly had its own unique ways of comfort; it was using beautiful memories to keep me in a delusion...suddenly picking on their brutal realities. Someone calling papa from behind us, Iyaz's expression the huge blue wrapped gifts with pictures of footballs and sports drawn on them, the awkwardness of the staff...they were making sense now. That surprise party was never for me.

I had been fooled. 

a/n: thank you so much for reading, commenting and voting. This is just a blast from the past, lol.

This story is actually a lot darker in my drafts, I decided to mellow it a bit down here, lol. 

Have an awesome day.