Home sweet home.

They made it to his car, he had asked his driver to drop it next to the hospital. Yeong-gi opened the door for her and she got in. She started looking at her right hand, she slightly lifted it and started contemplating it, it felt weird, different, she didn't know why but something about it was odd.
Yeong-gi walked to his side of the car, he crouched, got inside and then closed his door. During the past week they both kept their distances, they only communicated through text once in awhile, but now they were alone in a small box. Shin-ae had already been in his car before, but now it felt uncomfortable, the good type of uncomfortable, she started wandering where this irresistible sent came from, "It's the jacket" she thought, well not only that but also the person who's smell drove her crazy. She was sitting close to a hottie, enveloped in his big jacket and embraced by his sent, she felt fireworks explode inside her, she didn't understand why, but her feelings seemed to be harder and harder to control. "Foq teenage hormones" she yelled inside. She turned to the window and rested her chin on her hand, she couldn't look at him, she had to hide her red cheeks.
But she could feel his gaze weighting on her shoulders.
"Shin-ae? " he called, smoothly."Shit" she thought, she had to turn to him.
"Your seatbelt" he said, and then he gave he a quick wink. "Don't wink at me, do you want my heart to implode??! " she was a wreck, she didn't think it was because of Yeong-gi, but because of adolescence, thinking she wasn't into him comforted her, them being together was improbable, she just had to focus on something else. She fastened her seat belt and turned back to her window. But there was still a question that troubled her mind.
"Yeong-gi? " she called.
"Mhhhm? " he answered.
"Did you accept Kouske's deal immediately? " she asked, she feared his answer, more than she would a few days earlier, he took a moment of reflexion, holding the wheel tighter.
"Yes" he answered, something broke inside her, so was it this easy for him to ignore her, he definitely meant more to her than she did to him. "Pff, what was I thinking? ". "Because I wanted him to focus fully on finding where you were, because your safety was all that mattered at that moment". His eyes didn't leave the road while saying that, and she couldn't help her smile, he may not care as a lover but he certainly cared as a friend, also they will never happen so yeah she should stop thinking about it. But there was still something that needed to be cleared.
"How did they prove your innocence?" she asked.
"It wasn't proving my innocence moreso, accuse someone else" he answered. He then looked at her confused face and he winced. "Ugh I shouldn't have said that, you just need to focus on yourself".
She looked down, she already knew everything. "It's your mother isn't it?" she inquired.
Suddenly Yeong-gi lost control over his car, they were heading straight toward a pedestrian.
"Yeong-gi watch out!!" she screamed in terror. When he regained control he turned his wheel abruptly, the car skidded sidways. Those were the most horrifying seconds of her life, she could hear her heart beat in her ears. Yeong-gi managed to save them from a car crash, and then he stoped the car and parked to recollect himself.
The both of them were breathing heavily, Shin-ae's hand was on her heart that felt like it wanted to jump off her body. They both turned to look at each other to explode in laughter, she didn't know weather it was from nervousness or madness but she continued on laughing.
"You know, accepting a ride in this old car, in the death seat, is already a death wish" she stated interrupted by laugh attacks. "I can't have you not focus on the road while driving".
"I'm so sorry your question took me by surprise" he said, his face drastically becoming serious. "How did you know it is her? "
"I didn't, but knowing how she's been treating me since I met her, it made more sense for her to be the culprit instead of you, and I remember fighting with her before jumping to the pool, which meant she was on that floor with us, she could've help you but she didn't".
"Well we're three to not be surprised that it was her" he sighed.
"Of course not, she's a witch" she spat. It took her a few seconds to realize her mistake. "Dammit Shin-ae watch your mouth". "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to disrespect your mom like that, it's just that after everything that happened I just...  I don't know how to feel about her I mean she's mean but she's your mother so I have to... "
"She's not my mom" he screamed, interrupting her. She froze, what had he just said? Not his mom??. She kept looking from his tense hands that almost destroyed the wheel to his face who showed an emotion she had never seen him make, anger. He sighed and took a deep breath
"My father had an affair with another woman while he was married to Mrs Hirahara, he got her pregnant and decided to keep the child, but she was told to stay in her home country, Ireland, to not ruin my father's reputation. That woman is my mother, and she was kept secret while I am forced to pretend to be Mrs Hirahara's son".
She didn't even know what to think, she just felt sorry for him, she had no idea he went through all of that, now it made sense when Dieter told her that when they met, he talked about how he missed his mom, because it wasn't the witch, of course Yeong-gi was too kind to be the product of such a devilish woman.
"I... I am sorry you didn't have to.. " she mumbled.
"It's okay I had to let it out, I don't want you to think that we're related anymore" he said. He then looked at her for a long time. "Shin-ae? ".
"Yeah? " she answered.
"Can you promise you won't lie to me again?" he requested, in a desperate tone. It took her aback, why would he ask that all of a sudden?
"Um..  but when did I lie to you? " she asked innocently.
"Well I don't know I could start by how you didn't tell me that YOU WERE COMING TO COURT TODAY" he declared.
"Technically I didn't lie, I just didn't tell you I was coming" she smirked.
"Don't play with me I'm serious" he said, pouting. "Ahhh how can I resist to that puppy face??  Wooha what did I just say??  Foq".
"I know as well as you do that you would have a found a way to stop me from helping you, plus your father made me promise" she uttered, and then she had an burning urge to apologize."By the way, I'm so sorry I called your father hot, I didn't know you guys were family". He suddenly made a weird face, as if he just saw the growssest thing ever, or worse, Sang-Chul!!
"Um yeah can we just not talk about that? " he asked nervously. At that point she wanted to share something with him too.
"The girl who intruded my house and who pretends to be my sister messaged me and there is something in me that believes her because in the letter she sent there was a picture of me when I was little, and I don't know how she could've found it if she were lying and I think she looks like me a little, I mean my mom took her away from me and my dad at a really young age so I don't really know what she looks like oh and she mentioned in the letter that my mom passed away" she inhaled hard. "Woow that felt good". She turned to Yeong-gi to find him eyes wiiiide open.
"I.. umm I'm so sorry for your loss" he uttered.
"Don't be I didn't know her, as I said she left when I was really young I hardly have any memory of her" she said smiling, although it hurt her a little. Wow, already failing at this not lie thing". She wasn't used to venting to people, but she had to start trusting Yeong-gi, he gave her every reason to, a person who would rather go to jail then "bother" you is absolutely worthy of being trusted. And sharing her thaughts with people would help diminish her pain, and she needed that, especially after fainting today, it was her body requiring assistance. She had the feeling he hadn't had enough information and wanted to ask more about her family, but they had arrived to the hospital.
They both left the car.
"Yeong-gi please don't bring up my sister in front of my dad, he doesn't know about her yet and I want to keep it that way" she requested, and without further explanation, he nodded.
They were checkd in and directed to her father's room.  When she walked in, she braced herself for what was waiting for her.
"Shin-ae? " yelled her dad, and he was very very angry. "Where on earth were you, I've left you 12 mmessags and tried to call you at least 20 times, and is that a hospital gown you're wearing??? ". She waited for him to stop screaming so she could explain herself.
"I'm sorry I was too distracted to call you back and I was at the hospital a while ago because I fainted" she explained, but it only worried him more.
"The Hospital??  You FAINTED?????!" he exclaimed.
"Yeah papa but don't worry, I was just tired but I'm okay now" she reassured, smiling as big as she can so he would believe her. He relaxed a little which was a good sign. He then lifted his eyes, he was looking at something? He had a maaad look though, raising an eyebrow while frowning.
"And who's that? " he asked. She turned to find Yeong-gi, she was so concerned about her father that she completely forgot about him.
"Hi Mr Yoo my name is Yeong-gi " he introduced himself offring his hand, and her father shook it.
"What are you doing with my daughter? " he asked with the same facial expression. "Oh no"
"Papaa, you're not gonna do this with every boy you see next to me, he's just a friend " she promised. Yeong-gi was flashing his most genuine smile.
"I don't trust him" said her dad, squinting his eyes. She could feel Yeong-gi's discomfort.
"He's one of the guys that helped me the night of the intrusion" she affirmed, hoping it'd be enough for him to stop embarrassing her. He kept looking at him from his red hair to his shoes and back to his face.
"Fine you get a free pass for this time" he offered. Shin-ae looked at Yeong-gi shaking her head as if to say Don't mind him, gladly he didn't take it personally and he just chuckled softly.
"I will drive the both of you home" he announced, and her dad didn't have any objections, so they gathered his clothes and headed out, she could sense her dad feel more alive once they left the hospital, he had been there for so long, she couldn't wait to go back home, and for everything to go back to normal.
She was about to walk to the back door, but her dad decided he wanted a seat in the back, so she opened the front door, her father's presence made it more uncomfortable for her to sit next to Yeong-gi.
The drive home was really long, not  two words were exchanged, her dad made the atmosphere really awkward, he kept staring at Yeong-gi, she saw him stare in the rear view mirror. "Geez papa so creepy".
They finally made it home, they walked up the stairs slowly so that her dad could keep up the pace, they both helped him walk despite him affirming he didn't need them to. As they opened the door Shin-ae couldn't wait to see his reaction. Maya, Rika, Min-Hyuk and Mrs Park shouted SURPRISE!!!  As soon as they walked in, he was so happy to see them, seing him joyful was so refreshing for Shin-ae, the long tunnel of misfortunes seemed to come to an end. They both walked in to greet everyone, when Shin-ae remembered Yeong-gi, when she turned around, he was already on his way back. She sprinted toward him.
"Yeong-gi you're leaving? " she asked.
"It seems to be a small reunion I don't want to interrupt " he said with a closed eyes smile. She let him go, she didn't want to force him, he'd probably feel uncomfortable, he didn't know any of them well, except for her. She just waved at him and walked back.
The little gathering was great, being with her friends and family was what she needed most at the moment, plus she felt like the ice started to melt between her and Maya, and the lemon pie her mother made was delicious, after everyone left, Shin-ae went to clean the dishes.
"Do you need help honey?" asked her father.
"No papa you need to rest, plus I'm almost done" she answered.
"Please, I've rested enough" he stated.
She just let out a small chortle, but he kept on looking at her.
"Whaat? " she asked, annoyed.
"I'm starting to believe that you've grown a lot while I was in the hospital" he declared.
"Yeaaah I'm a few months older!" she mocked.
"I'm talking about the company that you keep" he said. Her entire being started trembling, what was he referring to? Was it what she thought? "Oh no, nononono"
"Um haha what company?" she asked, laughing nervously.
"The boy that drove us" he uttered. She was so shocked that she let go of the plate that was in her hands, thankfully it didn't break, but something inside her did, she was so flustered, she started blushing like crazy, her mouth was dry, and her breathing was very heavy. "Well seeing the state you are in after just hearing me bring him up, I guess I was right about my speculation".
"Papaaa has Mrs Park forced you to watch rom coms with her? Because what you are saying is crazy" she stated.
"Shin-ae I know you, and I can tell when you're lying" he said.
"Oh really because I've lied to you plenty of times and you never found out haha" she started laughing like an idiot, but when her father didn't join, and frowned instead, she stopped laughing. "But seriously it's not what you think".
"Listen he looks like a good guy" he uttered.
"Are you kidding me??! " she spat, "You were just saying you didn't trust him".
"Well that was because I wanted to intimidate him" he announced, he looked at her and she looked away, too embarrassed. "He took care of you when I couldn't, and he left right after he saw that we both made it home safe because he didn't want to be a bother, any normal person would have stayed to eat Mrs Park's lemon pie", she chuckled at his last sentence, "I'm just saying if you want to date you are old enough to, I said untill college, if things went as planned you'd be leaving for college next year, so I'll allow it, but he doesn't have my blessing yet, how about we invite him over dinner?, I want to meet him properly" he added. She couldn't take it anymore she was screaming STOP IT!!  in her head, it was such an uncomfortable feeling, for the first time she missed her father's paranoia, he's OKAY with her dating Yeong-gi?, and he LIKED him? But she never mentioned him before, how could he think she likes him?. "God would people stop thinking that we're going out, it's the fifth time someone mentions it. " she thought, it's true, twice by strangers, once by her boss, Kouske and now her DAAAAAD?? That's a code red, Mayday mayday abort, heeeelp.
She walked away from the kitchen, there were a few more dishes to wash but her dad had to take care of them, he deserved that for almost making her heart stop, she got to her room an slammed the door, when she layed on her bed, she felt herself relax a little bit more, staring at the ceiling, with only one face on her mind, Yeong-gi's.
                    To be continued.