Two Aboard

As soon as Charles reached out to K with cerebro, she excused herself from the conversation she was holding with Tony and Carol to look for somewhere that she could more fully focus on what the man had to say. It's awfully busy right now, K projected, eyes closed as she settled in to a quiet corner that left her tucked out of sight. What's wrong?

K could almost feel the mental sigh Charles had as he replied. Nothing's wrong yet, per se. Not here.

You're expecting trouble though, K replied. Try to relax. Logan was working on bolstering up his teammates here that plan to teach. I think it might be nerves with some of them. They're used to older teenagers, but no one under 17 or 18.

I somehow doubt that Captain Rogers has that much trouble with little ones.

You'd think it wouldn't be a problem with his usual partners, K teased. But don't worry. When I left the room, Logan was making sure to pass the buck your way for any advice on coaching personal control of mutations.

For a moment, it was clear Charles was weighing things out. Is that your way of telling me that this is simply an old war buddies discussion?

Aside from the really crappy play to see if I can run with their team? Yeah. I think that's what it is. I don't know what's going on with Steve, but he's not his usual fully confident self. If it's not nerves over playing teacher, I don't know what it is. K peeked around the corner to see how alone she was still. Between us, I think he's bitten off more than he can chew. All of them have. The Avengers are kind of spoiled in that all they've been doing since their inception is waiting for a crisis big enough for their egos to get them off their asses.

Charles smiled to himself on hearing her outlook. As always, K cut right to the heart of it. And they're starting to realize how much is at stake, is what you're alluding to.

I hope that's what's going on, K agreed. And I hope that they don't rope Logan into helping them more than he's already stretched himself.

And what about you? Charles asked. Have they roped you, too?

K thought about it for a long moment. The only way I'll join up at this point is if they've got Logan deeper than I think. I don't trust that they aren't still trying to schmooze him off of the X-Men and go Avengers full time.

So you plan to join to keep that from being the case?

I plan to join so I can point out to him what's going on if he's overstretched. And then bring him home. K shook her head. Or ... I'll join if I think that it's a smart thing to see how their school is running without rose-colored war buddy glasses ... well. I might be persuaded. Or let Tony think he persuaded me. Either way, it ain't gonna be an easy sell for them. They need to work for it either way. The soft sound of footfalls on the carpet down the hall drew K's attention. We can talk later, Charles. I don't have enough information for you yet. It's been very ... chummy.

She got to her feet as Charles agreed and took a second to steal a peek to see who it was that was looking for her - and was surprised only when she saw that it was Steve and that he was wearing a concerned sort of frown. "Alright. What did Tony say to get you ducking out on everyone?" Steve asked as he came to a stop not five steps from her - smiling easily at his own joke ... that she suspected wasn't entirely a joke. It was, however the first time all day Steve had seemed more like himself. Almost as if he too, needed to get a break from Tony.

"I just needed a little space from the full court press," K replied, matching his smile.

"He's not pushing for bodyguard again, is he?"