Slow Truce

The weeks following the debacle of scheduling had only been tentatively peaceful. The ladies were getting along well, the kids were great - but Scott and Logan were increasingly strained. It seemed as if the same old arguments were creeping up haunting and hovering over both of them, and the women in their lives were doing their level best to remind them both to leave it in the rear view mirror where it belonged.

And when things got too close to the line for everyone, one or all of the kids would intervene, effectively defusing the situation without any trouble.

There were a few curiosities between them all though. For one thing, the kids all seemed to be on a bender for sweets. All of them. Which was odd in that none of Logan and K's kids usually went for anything sweeter than maybe a touch of chocolate, but now? They were happily going along with Jean's whims for whatever struck her fancy. Which, of course, Jean loved.

And while Scott and Logan were at a truce of sorts, and Jean was soaking up the kids attention, K was just a little off. But she couldn't put her finger on what it was for the life of her. For the longest time, she blamed Logan for it. Especially when it seemed like every single time that she had a handle on what was wrong or that she felt like she was going the right way with things ...

He would frustrate her beyond a coherent argument with a crooked, trouble making smirk that she had yet to find a good defense against. She was pretty sure he was doing it on purpose, too. And even if he wasn't it was entirely his fault that she couldn't think straight. Conscious application or not - it was still his fault.

But K didn't have time to go after Logan when she had Kurt following her around and doting on her. Jean thought it was the height of hilarity, of course. Especially since K was not, in fact, expecting like Kurt thought. Every time K tried to correct him on that fact, Kurt simply didn't believe her. The house was of no help to her at all. And to keep Jean amused and relaxed, K did her best not to snap at Kurt - particularly since he was being so incredibly helpful and doting on both women.

The kids were playing nearby, and though the girls had roped James into another tea party, he'd gotten them to at least make it less like a tea party and more like a party. Which really just meant that the group of them were drinking their 'tea' and running around the room. It was the only way they could get him to play with them. And Rachel really wanted him to play with them. As evidenced by how she kept following him around and holding his hand.

And although Kurt really wanted to pick at the boy, it was far more fun getting after Logan's wife. Until she stopped playing nice with him, that is.

"We really need to find you a girl," K said as she leaned back in her chair near Jean - who was highly amused.

"What can I say?" Kurt said with a smirk. "I feel as though I must do more to ensure that you'll keep the family where you belong when this nonsense with the Avengers school has blown over." He handed her a cup of coffee as he sat down between the two women. "And you prefer the way that we take care of you here. I can sense it."

K gave him a dry look, though she gingerly took the cup from him. "I should be insulted," she said. "I've given you no reason to think that I'm pregnant. I've even gone out of my way to tell you that I'm not." Kurt kept smiling wider. "Am I fat? Is that it?"

Jean burst out laughing, but Kurt's smile only got wider. "No. But you are glowing."

"Oh, shut up I am not."

Kurt smile stretched into something almost obscene. "Are you trying to say that I don't know my best friend and all of his tells?"

"No, I'm saying you trust him enough that you believe his bullshit even when you should know better." K leaned toward him and Kurt mirrored her movement until she was close enough to whisper in his ear. "Did he explicitly say that I was pregnant?"