[Prologue • Missing]

"Are you sure about this?"

My head turned towards the driver's seat where my best friend, Emma Danvers, was sitting. Obviously, I couldn't see the concerned look on her face, but I could hear it in the tone of her voice.

I thought over her question, wondering myself if this was the best plan. You see, I had been living out in North Carolina while attending a boarding school. I've been there since I was fourteen; my mom and I moved from Mystic Falls after the accident that left me blind. Around sixteen, my mother adopted a girl I met from off the streets.

A few months after doing so, my mother died and my adoptive sister and I were then under the guardianship of my uncle, Logan Fell. He lived in Mystic Falls where the rest of the Fell family and I grew up, but I had no desire to return. So Logan let the both of us stay at the boarding school in North Carolina with regular updates to him.

Over the past month, those check-ups have been fewer, until they stopped altogether almost two weeks ago. I didn't think much about it, especially after receiving an email about him leaving Mystic Falls for a job opportunity. However, as a result of going days without returning my calls or texts, I finally decided to come back to my hometown to find out what happened to him. I would have a talk with Sheriff Forbes and see if I could piece together what transpired. Especially if it was related to something supernatural or not.

"No," I answered, sighing heavily. "But I also know that I need to do this. I need to figure out what happened to Uncle Logan. It doesn't mean that I want to be here. But it's necessary. Whether I like it or not, isn't the issue. Besides, you're the one who insisted on coming with me. Are you sure you want to be in the one place where there's a secret council who hunts supernatural beings like you?"

Emma scoffed. "Hell, no. But you aren't going to Mystic Falls alone, Aria."

"Who says I'm alone?" I raised my eyebrows, pointing over my shoulder to the backseat. "I've got Luna as backup."

As soon as I said her name, Luna barked happily from behind me. Luna was my golden Labrador who acted as my guide dog. I've had her for almost three years, my mother getting her for me as a birthday present.

"I think I'm a better backup than Luna," Emma stated with a huff.

"I don't know," I clicked my tongue. "Luna has teeth and claws twenty-four seven while you need a full moon."

"Oh, really," Emma hissed, offended. "Well, then, maybe I'll just leave you two on the side of the road and you can walk to Mystic Falls."

I smirked, knowing that she wouldn't really do that. Emma puts on a brave front and makes stupid jokes, but she'd never let anyone touch a hair on my head. "Sure, you do that."

There was a moment of silence before Emma and I broke out into laughter. Luna, feeling left out, nudged my shoulder with her cold nose. I reached back and petted the fur on top of her head.

"You know why I had to come with you, right?" Emma whispered, more serious this time.

I paused, tensing my shoulders. "Yeah, I do."

I met Emma when I was fifteen, back in North Carolina. I had left the house one day by myself; I walked to the convenience store a few blocks away and bought some snacks. I was on my way back home when I was attacked. A man came up from behind me and pulled me into an alley. He assaulted me brutally, kicking me to the ground before taking my wallet.

But, instead of leaving after robbing me, he got on top of my body and started to take my pants off. I tried to fight him, screaming for help but he didn't stop. Just as the man was about to pull them off me, I heard someone running into the alley. A voice of a girl told the man to get away from me. There was a scuffle before the man disappeared from on top of my body.

It was Emma. She had heard me with her enhanced werewolf hearing and beaten the guy to a pulp. She called the police and stayed with me until I could be taken to the hospital. I had suffered two cracked ribs, a black eye, a cut on my forehead, and several bruises over my body.

From that moment on, Emma made it her mission to look out for me. She became my best friend; she told me everything, eventually entrusting me with her supernatural secrets. When my adoptive sister was added into the mix, the three of us became the closest friends ever. We all looked out for each other, no matter what.

"If it wasn't you, it would've been my sister," I reminded Emma.

"True," Emma agreed, shifting in her seat. "But I'm glad I'm the one here. I wouldn't want to be back in North Carolina, stressing about if you're okay or not."

"Which is why I chose you to come," I nodded thoughtfully. "Out of all three of us, you are the most protective."

She sighed, saying, "Can't deny that. I won't apologize for it, though."

"I would never ask you to," I smiled over in her direction.

"Aria," Emma called my name softly a few minutes later. "We're crossing the border."

I took a deep breath, clasping my hands together in my lap

I took a deep breath, clasping my hands together in my lap. It was only a few moments before a feeling washed over me. A sense of cold seeped into my skin, whispers circling around my ears.

I gasped, overwhelmed by the deep feelings vibrating through my body and into my soul.

"Aria?" Emma asked, resting her hand on my shoulder.

"There's so much..." I murmured, trying to shake off the dark whispers I could hear.

"What? There's so much what?"

I turned my head towards my best friend. "Death."