CHAPTER XXVII

CHAPTER XXVII

Feeling unusually dazed, Dasher rounded the corner, thumb pressed against the pommel of his sword as if it could give him comfort in some way

Feeling unusually dazed, Dasher rounded the corner, thumb pressed against the pommel of his sword as if it could give him comfort in some way. He still couldn't comprehend what had happened back there in Valentine's office. It hadn't felt like him at all. Not just because he'd found himself at the rebel woman's throat, but because he'd felt calm - far too calm - when walking toward her. Personally, he preferred not to harm people without a reason (unless told otherwise by his king) and feeling himself advancing without a moment's consideration seemed an impossibility for him.

A sigh drew from his lips as he plundered sleepily down the hall. Valentine had awoken and summoned him to his office for something that was highly confidential and needed Dasher's contribution. He hoped it was worth it - no one wanted to be demanded somewhere at such an ungodly hour. But because he was the Captain of the Guard and he served the king loyally, he had to go. Dressed in his crumpled-up tunic and pants with hair messier than before, Dasher was less than decent. But no one would really care what his appearance was at this time.

Just as Dasher was crossing the hall between Valentine's office and where he stood then, a figure cloaked in black came sprinting toward him. By the looks of the graceful steps and gently set shoulders, it was a female. Reflexively, he grabbed the hilt of his sword, eyebrows furrowing while he hid himself against the wall in preparation. It may be that rebellious woman that had been brought down earlier that day. How she got out of the dungeon, he didn't know, but it was either her, or the young woman he'd had to escort and supervise under the command of Valentine in case she did any unwanted damage.

But when the figure turned and her head struck solidly against his chest, he saw that it wasn't any of the two. Brown eyes freckled with gem-blue gazed up at him from under a slit of moonlight that suddenly shifted toward them. Blonde hair he vaguely remembered running his hands through blew in a breeze that came from somewhere through an open window in the castle. Pale pink lips raw from constant biting down on parted when the eyes found him.

His sword fell with a clang.

~

It was hard sometimes, for Lisabette, to hold down the temptation to do something she wasn't supposed to. It may have been connected in a way to the thrill of it all - doing something behind someone's back. Breaking the rules felt good, especially when she was always cooped up in her bedroom with stacks of gowns to try on and boxes of shoes to fit.

And now as she stood before the Captain of the Guard, that temptation dissipated completely. With a look that sent memories she didn't want to remember anymore, Dasher's hand came up to her face, his calloused palm grazing her cheekbone. She wanted to pull away from him - from every feeling and emotion that he brought with him. But she couldn't. The sensation was too strong and too intense for her to be able to break away willingly. There had been nor warning, no sign.

He whispered her name softly, the deep ripple of his voice like a calming sea settling around her. Her fears vanished, and for a moment, it was just her and him, standing close together with eyes locked on one another. But as she had expected, the pain came. A series of agonizing thrums in the heart, pushing and cornering the peace she'd welcomed so childishly. She would never be at ease, she realized only a couple of tortuous seconds later. She turned her head away, Dasher's hand dropping to his side.

"I-I can't, Dasher." A flicker of pain she didn't want to see flashed across his gray eyes, which looked more realistic and magnificent in the moonlight. "Not now - not ever."

There had been no regret in her voice, no quiver that indicated she was lying. It wasn't the complete truth, but it was what needed to happen. Dasher was quiet, lips pulled down between his teeth. She did miss him - very, very much - but it would only be a fatal end for both of them.

She glimpsed the abandoned sword on the floor and bent slowly to pick it up with her fingers. Tears stung her eyes. She'd given the blade to him when he'd successfully completed all his courses and passed all his guard exams and became the new Captain of the Guard of the Second Kingdom. He still had it, even when he received a recommendation from her father and was promoted to work for the late king of the First Kingdom, and even when he could have so much more - when he deserved no much more.

"The world is too big for us, Dasher." She placed the sword in his large hands, brushing away the tears. He said nothing, merely examining the blade with a mournful look on his face. He was remembering the day she jumped up to him and handed him the sword she'd had made especially for him as a congratulations gift - she was sure of it.

She should be going. There was no time for her here with him. Taking a deep breath, Lisabette grazed past him, not wanting anything more to do with him or what his future held. She'd made a promise, a vow. She couldn't break it.

"No," she heard Dasher murmur. She stopped. "The world is too small, and time is too precious." There was an excruciating paus. "I only wish I'd told you sooner."

She wanted to run to him, to embrace him and comfort him. She wanted to be the one to dry his tears and tell him everything was going to be alright. But she couldn't, and with a soundless sob, Lisabette sped down the hall, Dasher lost behind her.