CHAPTER XXXVII

CHAPTER XXXVII

Dasher's eyes were burning with exhaustion

Dasher's eyes were burning with exhaustion. He rubbed them subconsciously, the sword feeling suddenly too heavy at his side. He'd been standing in that exact position for some time now, and it was barely even three in the morning. He was sure the dukes and generals sitting around the meeting table behind the closed doors looked far worse.

Valentine, being his devoted self, had called a meeting not even a few hours after Lisabette's birthday celebration to discuss something of the utmost importance. Dasher had been summoned first to check if the entrances and exits had been sealed shut and there would be now place for a spy or assassin to sneak in from. It was extremely unnerving to have Valentine in such an agitated, provoked state, so while he spoke with his officials, Dasher stayed well out of his way, letting the others try to flatten his temper.

There was a thump, and Dasher jerked upright, his hand going to his sword and the fighting knives strapped to his torso. A crow of voices before: "No one elseis going to die because of this chaotic mess."

That single, emphasized word helped Dasher understand exactly why Valentine had called the meeting. Another death. How, he didn't know, but it was connected to Lesste's in one way or another. He loosened his muscles slightly, resuming his analysis of the dimly lit room he had been sent into to guard.

The room was adjacent to the meeting area, and, along with being a public sitting room, was also a space where all the people benefiting from the meeting and discussions like merchants and mercenaries that had made complaints about whatever damned thing had been put up for debate stayed, waiting for the results of the meeting, which usually ended in Valentine's roar of rage and the clients staggering out, crestfallen.

Dasher had been commanded this time by Valentine to guard this specific room, not because it contained entrances and exits – windows, doors, and the fireplace, which was an uncommon choice but a choice all the same – but because of the special client that had reported something Dasher didn't want to know.

He couldn't really tell whether the person was male or female, but either way, they were highly ranked and needed immediate protection, which Dasher had been hesitant about giving, for the client was huge, no matter their gender. He had been staring at them in their shadowy corner for almost as long as the whole meeting, only occasionally breaking his gaze to examine the windows. Neither he nor his men had asked any questions, knowing the consequences if they did.

"Your Majesty," Dasher heard from the other side of the locked doors. "We cannot and will not be capable of scattering their forces. There is an undetected source of the rising army, and they will trample over us soon. If we are prepared, we can at least stand a chance of fleeing before their fleets reach our shores."

A pause.

"Their increasing power will be subdued, and we will be the ones to do it. Hemsworth, tell your troops to gather more men and prepare them as best as you can." Valentine sounded panicked.