CHAPTER XXX

CHAPTER XXX

Lisabette's maids helped her carefully into a delicate gown of light blue

Lisabette's maids helped her carefully into a delicate gown of light blue. She didn't particularly feel light fighting against their skilled hands as they strung the ties together and clasped the clips in place. The color of her dress certainly didn't match her mood, but there was no time for that. She had more important things to worry about than whether her outfit went with her raging emotions or not.

She sat herself down in front of the vanity mirror and tried not to look too nervous while her lady-in-waiting brushed her long hair, twisting the strands into a thick braid before coiling it into a bundle. Ranorae was visiting her today, and she was told by the lady's maid that had arrived at her chambers a few days ago to deliver the news that it was partially because she wanted to wish Lisabette a happy birthday. Yes, she was turning seventeen, but it didn't feel as though she was any different. Her previous birthdays were always full of joy and illuminated by all the grand parties Valentine held for her. He was doing the same this year, yet Lisabette wasn't excited at all. Maybe she was growing tired of all the celebrating and dancing and feasting. It didn't seem likely, but there was no other explanation.

She felt, rather than saw, her maids sliding one of the assortments of jewelry she kept in an ornate box of mahogany onto her neck. The necklace was a gift from her father before she was shipped to the palace here to be a choice for Valentine when he finally chose who his bride was. Lisabette didn't mind not being chosen, though if she wasn't it would be a shame and an embarrassment to her family. Valentine treated her well and sent her priceless presents and threw luxurious banquets for her - and if her heart wasn't already occupied, she would have fallen head over heels for him.

Dasher. That light she still prayed even then wouldn't wink out. His grieving eyes still lingered around her when she fell asleep at night. She wanted to forget him, to erase him from her mind forever. But it was too hard. He had always been there for her when she still lived in the Second Kingdom with her family, even when he had to spend all his apprentice time working through files with his master and training endlessly with numberless weapons. Though he was old enough to be a brother to her, that never stopped them for feeling toward one another. That night she ran into him, she had wanted to tell him so much. To tell him how she felt and what she'd endured for the past year when he wasn't by her side all that time; when he wasn't there to tell her there was nothing to worry about when it seemed the sky was going to collapse upon her. When he...

No, it hurt too much to think about it. Everything between them was gone - evaporated into nothingness. There was nothing either of them could do to make things right again.

Her eyes burned, but she fought back the tears that arose. She needed to push those memories aside. They meant nothing now and would remain meaning nothing. And maybe if she did end up becoming Valentine's wife, those memories wouldn't continuously guilt her.

A jarring rap at the door sounded and Lisabette whirled around in her seat. Signaling for her maids to open the door to her rooms, she stood and smoothed down the small crinkles in her gown. Ranorae appeared at the threshold, two maids standing behind her, each holding a tray of desserts obviously snatched from the kitchens.

The lady bowed elegantly, her skirts like a river of satin and lace. "How are you doing, Lisabette?" Her voice was silky and angelic.

"Excellently, Ranorae," she replied, helping the lady rise up from her curtsey. She had wanted to get rid of all the formalities between them now. They were not strangers anymore and showing each other such unconditional respect was slightly bothersome for Lisabette.

"I had my maids bring some desserts. I hope you don't mind." Ranorae beckoned to the two brunettes standing behind her. They came forward, lifting the trays in their hands higher. Colorful cakes and biscuits Lisabette had all seen and tasted sat daintily on the silver slab before her.

She allowed a fair hint of approval to line her tone. "I do appreciate such kindness, Ranorae." The lady waved her away as Lisabette ushered her toward the armchairs next to the unlit fireplace. It wasn't a very cold day today, so Lisabette had decided not to waste the maids' time and ask for a fire which was much unnecessary.

Much of their previous conversations resulted in an awkward silence, which was then soon broken by either Lisabette or Ranorae apologizing for not staying longer and needing to return to their rooms for they were tired and did not get a sufficient amount of sleep. It was a lame and well-known excuse for both of them to use, but neither of the two young women wanted to spend time together unspeaking with their maids surrounding them equally as quiet.

"I wish you an early birthday, Lisabette. You are turning seventeen, are you not?" The lady's wishes were genuine - such a gentle greeting could have been faked, even by Ranorae, who Lisabette knew was more of a trickster than she led people to believe. And yet there she was, falling under her unbreakable spell just like any other.

"I thank you, but the special occasion isn't until a couple of days later." And a party was to be held during the night to celebrate such a splendid day. She tried to look enthusiastic at the mention of it, though deep down she really wasn't looking forward to a gathering so big and... crowded. Maybe she was changing after all.

"I know," Ranorae said as she laid a hand atop Lisabette's on the table between them. "But I just wanted to be the first to say it."

It was very flattering and a statement like that usually made Lisabette blush a preposterous scarlet. She busied herself with taking a bite of one of the biscuits, trying to hide her blush with a dip of her head. But Ranorae wasn't focusing on how red she was now. Her eyes were directed at something behind Lisabette. She followed the lady's gaze, only to see two figures facing each other in the icy garden below her rooms.

That bronze hair was always recognizable, and as for the sharp, cautious green eyes of the girl opposite the man... There was no mistaking the Lady Althera, even as she turned away and drew the hood of her cloak over her head. Rhaye whispered something to her that made her face brighten, a smile breaking out onto her features. She couldn't look away as the girl hooked her arm through Rhaye's and flushed a rosy pink. They were an unforgivable sight against the white hills in the distance and the magenta sky.

"She should know that princes are never what they seem to be." Lisabette's voice sounded far too loud in the echoing room.

"A pity, really."

"Why do you say that?" Ranorae turned to look at Lisabette with a smile, her stony, pine green eyes holding all the answers.

"She holds time in her very two hands, and yet she chooses not to use it." If Lisabette hadn't known of the intensity of the situation, none of what Ranorae just said would have made any sense to her. She had known Rhaye since she arrived at the palace, and some would say they were inseparable. It was only for a while, until he broke her heart by leaving the castle without even a goodbye.

"Nothing good will come out of this stars-forbidden relationship." Ranorae breathed out a long sigh and Lisabette could only look on out of the window sympathetically at the poor, hapless couple.

She shook her head. "Not for her, anyway." The words were hard but contained only the truth. Rhaye couldn't be trusted. Not ever. Her experience with him proved that, and by the look of Ranorae's pained expression, she was thinking the same thing.

She knew, and it was a pity indeed.