📼

❪⠀⠀ TWO VOICES

❪⠀⠀ TWO VOICES. ⠀⠀❫
a kuroo voicemail fanfic.
written by theo.

in which you can't bear the thought of speaking to him in person—you don't think you'd ever not cry if you saw his pretty face again—so you cope by sending voicemails. he can't respond to you, so it's not like he can hurt you again, right? and honestly, what were you thinking? you knew how wanted he was by almost everyone. you were bound to have your heart broken eventually, and yet, you didn't expect it to hurt so much.

picking up your phone, you hesitate over his contact before groaning in frustration, turning it off and throwing it on to your bed before you begin to pace. the cold contrast against the pads of your feet are offered as a sweet distraction when you'd rather rake your fingers through your hair and scream at the top of your lungs the very question that had plagued you since you'd caught him. caught them.

why?

you were good to him. the best he'd ever had, according to him. you still in your frantic movements as you recall that night, one of the few moments when he was far more quiet then you had ever seen him. he had held you close, close enough to feel his heartbeat against your back, pressing lazy kisses to your neck before he confessed such to you in that sweetly slick voice of his. you had gone still, praying he still thought you were asleep, but you couldn't help the way your heart leapt from hearing him say that. (maybe you should've answered.) when you didn't, he'd sighed and kissed your cheek before wrapping his arms around you and falling asleep himself.

those same arms that held her so close.
those same lips that kissed her with such passion.

your phone lights up from its half sunken position in your sheets, and for the first time, you hope it's not him. the sole thought brings forth tears in the corner of your eyes. hesitating once more, you inhale sharply and gather all your mental strength and pick up the device, your heart stopping once you see who it is.

or

nine times he hears you over the phone and the one time he has the guts to respond.

i.        y/n l/n.
THE  SENDER
❝was i ever enough? was i ever enough for you, tets— kuroo. kuroo. i know i asked you not to respond for the sake of saving your pride, but shit, was i ever ever enough?❞

i.        tetsurō kuroo.
THE  RECIPIENT
❝every time you send one, my heart cracks a little more each time. i know you don't deserve the heartaches, and hearing your voice crack or hearing you cry— i did that. i'll never forgive myself for it.❞