Chapter 5

Feeling embarrassed and shy, she somehow erected herself with a crimson face. She politely whispered, "Thank you!" while he just gave her a slight nod quietly.

A maroon full sleeved cotton shirt, rolled up till his mid forearm and black jeans, revealed that he had a good sense of clothing. Having a dashing personality and a cosmic style.

Putting on a helmet was something unknown to him, and though he might have parted his hair neatly to look presentable, now all his hair was up and erect and he quickly fixed his hair smoothly running his fingers through it,without even looking up at a mirror or pausing on his steps.

Both of them were walking upstairs to the first floor. She then enquired,
"She's your sister, right?"

He paused, turned around to look at her perplexed and then realized that it was she who had been staring at him in the shopping mall, the previous day.

" Yes,"he confirmed.

" Can you do me a favor ? After your classes are over, can you meet me in the library?"She asked courteously.

" I'll be there at 11," he replied quickly, hurrying towards his class without thinking much. Not really excited to be attending the boring lectures, he wanted to speak to her instantly and ask her what kind of a favour she needed from him. However, the first class was important for him, he couldn't skip any more classes as the shortage of attendance would hamper him in the long run. The class was taken by one of his least favorite faculties and quite often he dozed off in his class.

" okay!" She replied feebly.

************************

Sharp at 11.05 a.m. he entered the library and found her waiting for him.

Why? What did she want? Who was she? Why had she fixated her eyes on him in the shopping mall? Were some of the questions perturbing him and made it near impossible for him to focus on the lectures.

Pacing up to her, he occupied a chair in front of her, dropping his bag on the table.

Having never trusted men in her life,  she felt awkward asking for a favour, that too from a stranger. Stiffening up, she reminded herself that she had to do this.

Feeling her throat was clogging, she somehow hesitantly managed to utter in an undertone.
" I...I need a place to stay for a week.
Can you l...let me share your sister's room for so long.
I ...I am comfortable even lying on the floor," she finished in one breath.

"Don't you have any other friends to help you?" He enquired curiously, remarking her.

"What is the hurry? You can easily look for a PG or even a hostel accommodation."

She murmured, " I ...I'm not looking for a PG or a hostel accommodation but for a house, as a tenant.

Since, the classes have started just one week ago, I could make only one friend... Arohi. I had called her up but she won't be able to help me.Presently, she is out of the town."

The innocent puppy face, she had made Prabir certain, that she indeed was in some brewing trouble and needed help. She was elegant, graceful and utterly unaware of her charm.

He gently placed his hand on her head, as she looked at him surprised.

"You can stay in my house for as long as you wish. I will help you find a place. Now come with me. I'll drop you home,"he said cheerfully.

He was the most fascinating person she had ever spoken to.

She blurted out loud, "My house" and as some students cast a nasty cold look at her. She said lowering her voice, " My house is very far away, it takes me three hours ...and I need to change two buses in between everyday."

" Don't be scared, you can trust me," he said cordially.

Could she trust him??

Could she really trust a stranger?

A ride on his bike. It was one of the most strangest and dangerous ideas she could think of.

" It's okay! I'll take a bus. Could you please just give me your address,"she refused politely.

Snatching her bag he walked out of the library.

Slowly she followed him, determined not to encourage him any further. She would not definitely take a ride back home on his bike. Cursing him in her mind 'who does he think he is?' she left the library.

Perched on his bike he was waiting for her to sit. She stood still for 2-3 minutes undecided about her next move.

Should she scream out loud and create a ruckus asking him to return her college bag? Or should she just plead him to return her bag ?

Regarding her curiously, he enquired piously, " Ma'am could you please do me the honours of placing yourself on my bike?"

She retorted, " why should I?"

" I understand your concerns...What if someone sees you on my bike? What if I take you to some other place? How do you trust me?"He smiled.

Returning her bag, he whispered pleadingly, "I won't force you.

If you don't want me to give you a ride, at least you have to let me accompany you on the bus."

He couldn't envision the thought of leaving a girl alone to travel by local buses being pushed and shoved by other passengers.He did not even want to imagine her being subjected to unwanted stares, comments or lewd gestures.

Immobile,tongue-tied, unable to mutter a word, she stood like a stone and then then asked abruptly, " If you accompany me on a bus, how will you return ?"

" I'll manage," he replied casually.

She looked at him with a frown, knowing that he wouldn't be able to return as their were no buses after 1p.m. and it would be around 2.30 when they reached Parili even if they took the bus scheduled at 11.30a.m.

"Okay! Then please give me a ride," she uttered shyly. Though her mind was engaged in a fierce battle, her heart wanted to place all her trust in him.

She wasn't a girl who was attracted to men but there was something very appealing about him.

He could have easily denied to help her, as he had no damn clues regarding who she was. He never questioned her about her family or relatives either.

His words "Don't be scared. You can trust me," sounded very honest and sincere.

The instant he had placed his hand on her head, she instantly felt that he had only wanted  to reassure her that everything will be fine and things will work out as if he could feel her sadness and knew all about her worries.

Prabir had started to walk in the direction of the gate that led them out of the campus, not comprehending what she meant. Then as if in a flash of lightening, he was pulled back out of his imagery.

Did she really ask for a ride?