Chapter 12

Retiring to their rooms after some time, they both changed to their usual attire at home. While, Prabir walked downstairs to the kitchen to cook some rice for lunch, Bhargavi had locked up herself in her room.

Oblivious to the reasons of her anger, Bhargavi started questioning herself "Why do... I care if he hugs someone? They are friends he said. Wasn't she trying to be very intimate, wrapping an arm around his shoulder and that too in public? Why would he allow her to do this if he doesn't like her?"

They heard the doorbell. Prabir opened the door to find a gloomy Parul.

She threw her bag on the floor, then she kicked off her shoes and threw her socks and tie, then went upstairs with a miserable face. She had just returned and Prabir did not want to immediately bombard her with a thousand questions.

Noticing Parul come downstairs changed comfortably into a peach coloured floral printed maxi, Prabir knocked on the door of Bhargavi's room asking her to join for lunch.

He did not smell like that lady's perfume, but his usual self and a broad smile appeared on Bhargavi's face as she followed him slowly. All of her querries and concerns were silenced, with his heavenly smile. Using up all her strength she restrained herself from revealing her ecstatic self.

As Parul and Bhargavi sat to have their lunch, while Prabir started to serve them, it was Bhargavi who enquired concerned, "What happened Parul?"

Tears started to roll down her cheeks and Bhargavi irritatedly said, " Parul please stop crying and tell us what happened."

Parul slowly rubbed her eyes and said ," Di, a new transfer student 'Sarvesh Dasgupta' joined our school today, he is in same class as me.

As all the seats were occupied except the one beside me, he was asked to sit beside me.

The first question he asked me was,
" Did you have dinosaur's eggs for breakfast?"

Bhargavi interrupted, " So what did you do?"

"I ignored Di,"she replied gloomily.

"Why didn't you ask him if he had cow-dung cakes for his breakfast?
And if he had brushed his teeth with pigeon's poop?"she snapped.

"Okay! Then what happened?" Prabir enquired.

"Then in Mrs. Martha's period, he drew a very funny caricature of hers and passed his notebook for me to see. I couldn't help laughing and was thrown out of the class.

During recess, when I was going to wash my hands, he intentionally made me stumble and fall by placing his leg abruptly in my way and every one laughed and made rude jokes on me, " she concluded.

" Prabir , did you inform the school authority that...Parul is being bullied in school?" Bhargavi questioned.

"Yes, Bhargu...I did..I met the Principal who did not want to devote his valuable time regarding this issue and asked me to discuss this with her class teacher.

I met her class teacher, she agreed to all I said and assured that she will immediately do something about it.

But soon after I left, she called up Paru and lectured her that...she was overthinking and that no one is as obsessed with her as they are obsessed with their own insecurities and that ...it is a natural human tendency to use such names for others,"he informed.

"When did this happen?" Parul asked curious.

"Paru you already know I met your principal and class teacher," he said delicately.

"BHARGU....??

Aye! Someone is falling in love ...
Can't help falling in love,"She sang heartily, like an opera singer.

As both Bhargavi and Prabir fell about laughing, Parul scratched her head and asked in dismay, " What? Am I that bad a singer?"

As the laughter died down, Bhargavi said sharply, " Paru...after lunch bring your school diary, we need an appointment, we are meeting your Princy again." (Princy - Principal)

"Really? You think I didn't try Bhargu?

Do you think if Baba went instead of me, the scenario could be somewhat different?" queried Prabir.

" You obviously did try Prabir, but you are too good for your own cause.

If Uncle met the Principal and her class teacher instead of you, I don't think anything would have changed," she replied smoothly.

The day went on easily. In the evening while having tea and some snacks, they decided to have a small party organized in Prabir's house, on Bhargavi's mother's birthday to let it be a surprise for her.

Prabir wanted to bake a cake for her birthday. They made a list of all the things they required for decorations like balloons, streamers, hats, blowers, the grocery items like eggs, corn flour and baking powder.

" Vishwesh will bring his car along and all of us will have fun tomorrow. Don't worry Paru...he will not tease you again,"Prabir informed.

"Who is Vishwesh?" Bhargavi asked out of the blue.

"He's my friend Bhargu,he wanted to spent some time with me but as I told him I had some plans, he told he'll join us instead of getting bored at home," he replied genially.

*******

Parul again seemed sad and depressed on returning from school the next day. Prabir had done his best to keep Keya out of Bhargavi's sight in college.

Bhargavi had a forlorn day, Arohi was still not back and all her classmates had begun to question her about Prabir and her relationship with him.

However, the outing in the evening cheered them up. They had purchased a lot more items than noted on the list. Bhargavi did not want to spend so much, but knew somewhere deep that Prabir missed his mother badly. She did not have the heart to ruin everyone's happiness.

Vishwesh did his best to cheer up Parul, cracking jokes and making funny remarks, telling her awful stories.

The proximity between Vishwesh and Parul was frustrating Bhargavi to an extent, she felt as if the two of them were on a date and she and Prabir were serving as mere disturbing elements.

Prabir however, was not concerned with Vishwesh but was happy to see Parul smile and laugh.

*****

Mr. Banerjee was extremely excited to hear about the party and promised to stay at home and help.

When Parul and Mr. Banerjee left the kitchen after having dinner, Bhargavi had stayed back to help Prabir with the dishes and asked him, " Prabir, has the Principal given us an appointment?"

"Yes, tomorrow at 11a.m in the morning," he informed.