Hagrid's Secret

"Is Lockhart the smarmiest bloke you've ever met or what?" Ron complained to Cora and Harry

"Is Lockhart the smarmiest bloke you've ever met or what?" Ron complained to Cora and Harry. It was a few weeks after the start of term and they were going back to the common room after visiting Hermione at the Hospital Wing. Ron was talking about the get well card that Hermione received from their Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor which she places under her pillow when she sleeps. 

Cora came back to Hogwarts the day before term started and was surprised to find that Hermione had transformed into a cat-person. Not a cat. But a cat-person. She was literally Hermione with a furry face, whiskers, and tail. Apparently, it was a cat's hair that she got from Millicent Bulstrode's robes. 

She was glad to be back to Hogwarts especially after what happened during the funeral. No one can explain what happened to Jupiter. Mr. Crouch insisted that the owl just dropped dead on its own, which was possible since he was already a bit old. He has been with the family since before Cora was born. He was replaced by another eagle owl, a female one this time, Juno.

She told her friends about what she found out about the first time the Chamber of Secrets was opened. It was in the first year of her Granny teaching, which made it impossible for Lucius Malfoy to have done it. Harry and Ron also told her that it was the same thing that Malfoy said when they were pretending to be Crabbe and Goyle. They've reached a dead end in their investigation. 

"Yuck!" Ron said as they stopped at the flooded first floor. 

"Looks like Moaning Myrtle's flooded the bathroom again." Cora commented. The three, being the nosy lot that they were, decided to go to Myrtle's bathroom to check what was wrong. When they got in, Myrtle was floating gloomily above the stalls. 

"Who's there?" Myrtle asked but stopped when she saw that it was the three familiar Gryffindors. "Come to throw something else at me?"

"Why would I throw something at you?" Harry asked. 

"Don't ask me!" Myrtle pouted. "Here I am, minding my own business, and someone thinks it's funny to throw a book at me."

"But, it can't hurt if someone throws something at you. I mean, it'll just go right through you." Ron reasoned. 

"Sure!" Myrtle shrieked. "Let's all throw books at Myrtle because she can't feel it! Ten points if you get through her stomach! Fifty points if it goes through her head!"

"But, who threw it at you, anyway?" said Harry.

"I don't know, I didn't see them. I was just sitting in the u-bend thinking about death - aah - and it fell through the top of my head." Myrtle wailed and dived into a toilet. 

"Look, there." Cora pointed at a black leather bound book. 

Harry took it and inspected the cover. "T.M. Riddle? Do you know a T.M. Riddle?" He looked at his friends. They both shook their heads. 

.....

Hermione was finally discharged from the Hospital Wing. By Valentine's day, she was back to her usual fur-less and tail-free self. Things got back to normal at Hogwarts. They overheard Professor Sprout telling Filch that the Mandrakes were about to be ready. Once everyone who was petrified is healed, they would be able to finally identify who attacked them.