1 - Exception

"Seriously?" You looked at your best friend, Chiyo Nakamura, in shock. You had moved up to high school together, and had been best friends all through middle school. "That's shit, isn't it?"

She told you the news about the girls volleyball team. "Yeah, quite crap, huh? They barely ever have matches, never really practise with other teams? I went to check because I knew you would have liked to join.." You look at her, and smile. "It's okay, don't worry."

A tall, blonde figure walked up to you. Kei Tsukishima, your twin brother. "What do want, Kei?"  You asked, he just rolled his eyes at you. Oh, sibling love. "I'm going to volleyball practise with Yamaguchi. Just thought I would let you know." You looked up at him and frowned in jealousy. "Aren't you lucky.." You muttered, and he looked at you confused. "Oh, what did I say now?"  He asked, and you explained that the girl's volleyball team was boring so you wouldn't get anything out of it. "Shame. Well, stop complaining.. unless you want to join the boys team with me.."  He smirked and walked off, but he actually just put an idea in your head.

"Chiyo, I'm gonna see if I can join the boys team!"  She looked at you with a concerned look, as if you were crazy. She closed her eyes and sighed. "You do have some weird ideas, y/n." She opened them again to continue talking, but you had already ran halfway down the hallway. "Takeda-Sensei!" You shouted, as you saw the Club Advisor walking down the hall. "Oh, hello Tsukishima! What do you need?"  Takeda smiled at you. "Can I ask you something?" You say, hoping he would take my request. "Sure, go ahead."

"Today, Nakamura found the captain of the girls volleyball team and asked about their matches and everything? As a volleyball player, I love playing and going to camps for practicing and playing matches, but apparently the girl's volleyball team is kinda.. uneventful. I know it may be a lot to ask but, may I join the boy's team with my brother?"  His eyes were fixed onto you as you said this, and he mumbled a little under his breath. "Okay, I'll see what I can do. I think it could be interesting to put a girl on the team. I shall talk to Coach Ukai about it and see what he thinks."  A smile of relief makes its way across your face and you sigh. "Thank you!" You bow, and walk to tell Nakamura.

Excitement rushes through you at the thought of being on an action-filled volleyball team. The matches, the practise, the friendships! You jog up to Nakamura who had walked off to the lunch hall, and sat down beside her. "Guess who might be getting on the boys team?" You wiggled your eyebrows at her. It was one of the only times you were excited over something, and she just rolled her eyes. "Hm, I don't know.. enlighten me." You frowned at her brushing off your excitement. "Damn sis, I thought you would be happy for me.." She looks at you and laughs. "Of course I am! I hope you get accepted.." She says, to which you reply "Yeah, me too.." and begin to eat your lunch.

____________________

"Tsukishima!"  As you walk into school the next day, you hear Takeda's voice calling out. You turn around and he smiles at you. "I talked to Coach Ukai, and we have decided to allow you to join the team. In terms of official matches, it may take some convincing to let you in, but I'm sure nobody will mind. Come find me after all of your classes are over, I will take you to meet the team."  You couldn't believe it. Your stupid twin brother actually got you a space in the team. "Ah! Thank you Takeda-Sensei!"  You smile wide and bow, and hurry off to go tell Nakamura.

"Chiyo! Guess who just got a place on the volleyball team?" She looked at you with wide eyes, "You mean it worked?"  she asked. "Yeah! I'm allowed to play on the boy's team now! This is gonna be so fun, I can actually play some good volleyball again!" The adrenaline running through your body was too much, you had to stop talking for a moment to calm down before you forgot how to breathe. After sighing, you headed over to class. Now, I just have to get through six hours of boring schoolwork.

____________________

"Takeda-Sensei, I'm here."  You grinned at the teacher as he welcomed you, and you had your clothes from P.E. (physical education) classes in a bag on your shoulder. "Ah, that's perfect. I can take you over now!"  He grabbed his jacket from his desk and walked out the door, gesturing you to follow him. You walked beside him, and you made your way over to the gym. Two big grey doors blocked the entrance, and was opened to a hall of twelve teenage boys staring at you. Okay. Attention. Wow.

You weren't good with having people looking at you, let alone this giant group of players all fixed on to you. "Takeda-Sensei, welcome. Who is this with you?" A guy walked up to Takeda and bowed. 'He must be the captain', You thought, examining the number 1 that was on his yellow bib over his jersey. "Boys, meet your new female addition to the team. Would you like to introduce yourself?"  He turned back and looked up at you with comforting eyes. You were 5 foot 7 inches, so you practically looked down on him, which wasn't very reassuring either. You suddenly became flustered and began stuttering, and Tsukishima slapped his forehead with his palm. "Hi, uh.. I'm T-Tsukishima Y/N, but you c-can just call me y/n for s-short." You looked down and shuffled your feet around after the embarrassed introduction, but you heard a few 'Hello's and 'Welcome's coming from the crowd of players. You looked up to see the intimidating bunch all smiling at you happily.

A boy from the third year approached you, he had grey hair and brown eyes, and smiled. "Hey there! I'm Sugawara Koshi, but you can just call me Suga. May I ask what your relation to Tsukishima is?"  He looked at the much taller blonde, and then back at you. You smiled and walked over to where Tsukishima was. "Twins. He got all the height and moodiness, but Kei has a soft spot for me. Even though we fight a lot, so be prepared for that."  You said teasingly and jumped up to ruffle his hair, laughing. You didn't even have to jump that far, but you could jump quite high with no effort. You didn't need a run-up, or to swing your arms.. you just did it. You messed up Kei's blonde mop of hair, earning a scoff and some muttering from him as he fixed it. The team all gave you nods or gestures to show they understood, and some laughs about how unproblematic Tsukishima was being compared to usual, and started to introduce themselves.

____________________

After the boys introduced themselves, you had a mini catch-up with Yamaguchi, because you hadn't seen or spoken to him for a while. You go to put your stuff by the door and take out your uniform from your bag. "I'm going to head over to the girl's locker rooms, I'll be back in a moment."  You say as you leave the room and walk to the other side of the school. Thinking about the boys' introductions, your mind keeps playing back a certain setter's welcome. "Hi, I'm Kageyama Tobio,  from class 1-3. Welcome to the team." There was something about the team's reactions that made you think that he wasn't usually so polite. Must be just a first greeting thing. You got changed and head back to the gym, where the team had already started spiking practise. You place my school clothes into your bag and zip it up, when you see Kageyama about to set a ball. Hinata runs and seems to hit it with such ease. Well then, I wonder how this is going to go..