4 - Hero

The match was about to start. Why is he not here? You walked into the gym where the match would be played, and warmed up. You heard whispers from around the hall.

"Do Karasuno have a girl player?"

"Who's that with Karasuno? Is she a player?"

"Where is their Number 9 setter though?"

"I heard they're called 'the wingless crows'."

"Is this a joke?"

These whispers are running circles through your mind as you stretch, and you keep looking over at the door. Daichi puts his hand on your back in comfort. "He'll get here, don't worry. We trust Tanaka's sister to get them here." You nod and tie your hair up. I can do this, he'll be here soon. Also, is it that obvious that i'm waiting for him? You shake off the doubtful feelings and get ready to line up. You follow the team members to the side of the court.

___________________
Kageyama pov:

"Thank god that's over. We can finally get to the camp.. come on Hinata."  I couldn't wait. I needed to get there, so I practically dragged the little dumbass outside by the arms, where we were waved over by an older girl, with short blonde hair. She kinda looks like Tanaka, so it must be his sister. "Hey, you're the little failures that my brother kept talking about! You need to get to your little training camp, right?" She was so loud, all I could do was nod. "Well, get in the car. I'll get you there in no time!" I thank her and let Hinata sit up front, and I crawled into the backseat.

I wonder if y/n is okay.. I find myself imagining her standing in the line before the match, but I'm not next to her. A sad feeling came through me and I sighed. Maybe if I go to sleep, it won't feel as far.. I'm coming y/n, just wait. I rest my head on the widow, clutching the bottom of my shirt, and fall asleep.

____________________

y/n pov:

He's not here next to me. You find yourself with a look of disappointment cast over your face. Everyone starts getting into positions, and you were not put into the game just yet. "For reassurance, y/n, coach will put you and Kageyama in at the same time when he arrives," Sugawara approached you. "We hope that's okay with you..? You can try that new attack you were working on!" You nod and make your way over to where Yamaguchi was standing. "Oh, y/n, are they not putting you in?" You shake your head, "I'm getting subbed with Kageyama when he arrives." Yamaguchi nods and gives you a little "oh, okay". And the match starts.

(a/n: i'm not writing any of these matches with how they actually happened in the anime, i'm just making it up because ur girl is lazy 😭).

____________________

nobody's pov:

It's already the second set.

Asahi received the ball, and it was flying over to Sugawara. Sugawara set it to Tanaka, who had jumped up to hit a spike. It went flying over the net, and Yaku attempted to receive it. It bounced out, earning Karasuno the first point. Next, Tanaka hit another spike and sent it flying to the opposite side of the court. Some of these were repeatedly blocked and received, and Tsukishima blocked a few of Nekoma's attempts of scoring points.

Eventually, most of Karasuno were expecting Hinata and Kageyama any minute. "Why aren't they here..?" Daichi muttered to himself after failing to receive a ball. Asahi's serves got sloppy, Tanaka's spikes got weak, Sugawara's sets were becoming less and less accurate by the minute.

____________________

y/n pov:

Your hands had began to shake. Why aren't they playing their best? Your began feeling more anxious and the amount of shouting, calling and slamming was beginning to scare you. You wanted Kageyama. The whistle went as Karasuno won the last point and you sat back on the bench, feeling anxious.

The doors to the gym slid open, surprisingly loudly, to reveal two out-of-breath first years, clutching bags and wearing their school uniforms. Coach called them over, and you got up and rushed over to the duo. You pulled them both into a hug, smiling like an idiot, and held them by their shoulders. You all laughed, and you looked up, realising your face was very close to Kageyamas. You let go in embarrassment but you still couldn't stop smiling in relief. "You made it! I was starting to think you'd both failed and left me here alone." You crossed your arms and looked at them, and they started back blankly. These idiots, I swear to god. "Oh, I'm kidding. Of course you passed, you studied loads.. so get ready and they're gonna put us in the match!" Kageyama laughed at your excitement and said, "Okay, y/n calm down." He turned around and gestured Hinata to follow him. When they left, you turned around to see the team looking at you, some trying not to laugh. "I'm excited to play, that's all.. don't you dare say anything else, bitches." You glared at Nishinoya specifically and he laughed, and pushed through the group to grab your water. On the outside to anybody you would have looked angry, but you felt you were going to be smiling like an idiot once you got that first attack in a real match with Kageyama.

As you walked to grab your water bottle, you hear some of the Nekoma team whispering and smirking. You look over and hear them talking about you. "Who's the girl?" You were annoyed but continued listening. "Why is she there if they're not even gonna put her in? She must be usele--" Assholes. "Shut it, bedhead. I'll beat you when they put me in." You interrupted the tall black-haired player, and he turned and smirked at you. "And so the pretty girl speaks. What's your name?" He looked at you judgingly, and you turned your full body to him. "Tsukishima y/n, middle blocker." He looks you up and down and then to your brother behind you. "I see the resemblance, huh. I look forward to winning against you, y/n.."  You glare at him and mutter "You wish.." as you walked over to the team, where Kageyama and Hinata had returned. Takeda was giving them a talk and filling them in on what they missed, and then the last set was about to start.

____________________

You and Kageyama were both subbed in and Tsukishima and Sugawara were swapped out. You walked onto the pitch and got into position. It was Asahi's time to serve. He was a powerful player, and hit the ball straight over the net. Nekoma's libero received it and it came back over the net. Nishinoya scooped up the ball and it was passed over to Kageyama, in a split second he gave you a glance. Time to knock 'em out with a quick attack. You started running towards the net as the ball fell into Kageyama's palms. As if time had slowed down, you jumped as high as you can, and put your arm up in the air. Finally, the ball came flying over to you, so you hit it down straight over the net. It was extremely fast, and the Nekoma players didn't even get chance to try and get it back. First point of the set, all ours..