3 - Study Buddies

It shouldn't be hard, just smack the ball as hard as I can, take my anger out. It was your time to spike, but you couldn't get your brother's words out of your mind. Kageyama's advice would probably work, and you have him a glance to let him know you were going to hit it hard. He nodded at you, and got ready to set. You ran at full speed, and put all your weight into the balls of your feet. You could hear the contact your shoes made with the ground as you jumped, and raised your arm up. The ball was perfectly in place, and you let out a loud "Argh!" as you hit it, and it slammed onto the ground with such a loud noise it was slightly scary. You took some deep breaths and looked up at Kageyama, who was smirking. "See, it worked right?" You nodded, still out of breath, and tuned around to Tsukishima. You glared at him and walked back to give the other players space to spike. The team could definitely tell that you were annoyed, but this probably wasn't your angry stage...  yet. You had an aura surrounding you in practise, that only seemed to disappear when you spoke to Kageyama about your spikes and other things during the breaks.

____________________

You had been a part of the team for a few days now. You usually stayed a little for extra practise with Kageyama, he seemed to lighten your mood and could tell how you were feeling when you hit the ball. He knew what to say to make you play at your best, and deal well with your emotions.  At the end of practice, there was an announcement that some team members were failing their classes. They asked for volunteers to tutor them, and the third years turned to Tsukishima. "Are you kidding me? No. I'm not having you guys in my house," You felt bad, so you punched Tsukishima in the arm and said, "I can help like, 2 or 3 people maybe? I don't know how many people I can have in my house." Tsukishima sighed and you smiled innocently, and Daichi suggested that you help the first year duo because they would be learning similar things to what you are. That meant Kageyama and Hinata would be coming round to your house almost every day for about a week. Yamaguchi wasn't failing, which was good because you probably couldn't keep up with tutoring 3 people. Yamaguchi actually seemed to be quite smart. You were alright with tutoring the duo, but Tsukishima didn't want Kageyama and Hinata there when he was trying to relax at home. "Whatever, I'm not helping anyway." You look at Hinata in an apologetic way as he frowned at tsukishima, and everyone starts to grab their stuff.

After collecting your things, you walk up to Kageyama and Hinata. "Do you guys wanna come over today and get an extra day of studying in? I've got nothing to do we should do as much as we can to help you pass,"  They both accepted the offer, and left grabbed their stuff. You told Tsukishima to not wait up for you, and you stayed while the two boys finish getting their stuff. He nodded and left to walk home alone, pulling his headphones onto his ears. "Come on, I'll walk you two over to my house. It's not far,"  You smile and leave the gym, Hinata and Kageyama following behind you. After a while, Hinata ended up walking way infront and jumping everywhere, and every turn he said "Which way do we go?" because he was so far ahead. He was like an impatient child and you couldn't help but laugh as you directed him towards your home. Kageyama had placed himself next to you rather than trailing behind, and placed his hands in his pockets. "Thanks for helping us study. I don't know if there is anyone else I would rather do it with.."  He smiled and looked at the path.. and widened his eyes as he processed what he just said. "I-I mean like, with the team members, either everyone is too exciteable or we don't get along. You just seem , like.. calm and friendly, you know?"  You found yourself blushing so you looked down at your feet, hoping he didn't see. You heard a little laugh from him, suggesting that he noticed. Fuck.

____________________

You finally made it to your house with the two, and grabbed your keys out your bag. You turned the key in the lock on the door and open it, motioning for the boys to follow you inside. They did as you asked, and you shut the door behind them, placing your keys on the table next to the door. You showed them where to put their shoes and jackets. After they were ready to study, you said "Follow me, I have a table we can study at in my bedroom."  The boys followed you upstairs and into your room, which was decorated nicely. A low bed with lots of pillows and fluffy blankets was placed in one corner, with a full-length mirror next to it, surrounded by fairy lights. There was a lot of natural light coming through a big window, and lots of little plants scattered around some shelves. A white wooden wardrobe sat next to a table with four chairs. Each had a small cushion on, and you suggested that Kageyama and Hinata pick a chair to sit on. They sat opposite eachother, and you picked the chair next to Kageyama to sit at. There was a light switch on the wall next to your chair, so you flipped it. A lightbulb hanging above the table flickered on, emitting a soft yellow glow, as you all got your stuff out to begin studying.

As you studied, you three had some good conversations about school, siblings, volleyball and practicing. "Don't we have a training camp next week, Kageyama?" You turned to him and he nodded, "Yeah I think so, but we can only go if we pass our exams." You frown, "Oh, that sucks. Well as long as this studying works, it should be no trouble for you." "Yeah hopefully." Kageyama gives you a little smile. You smile back and go back to helping Hinata take his notes. Every now and then, when Tsukishima walks past your room, he would throw comments at Kageyama and Hinata while smirking stupidly. Thankfully they ignored him, and Kageyama didn't try to beat him up in the middle of your house.

This continued for the next four days, Kageyama and Hinata seemed to make everything into a little competition, and there was some arguing.. but we mostly just laughed at it. A few days later, it was time for them to take their exams. "Hey, I know you can do it. Go pass the exams!"  You smiled at them both as they head into school the morning of the training camp. You take your bag with your jersey that Kiyoko had given to you, number 10. It was one number higher than Kageyama's, but still one of the closest, much like your friendship. In game, you were up in the air, hitting the ball and he was on the floor, setting them to you. 9 up to 10l You were one of his closest teammates at this point, and you were glad you got along from the start. Unlike Tsukishima, who still can't seem to be able to get along with Kageyama at all. You hop onto the coach and sit in the empty seat next to Kiyoko, and stare out the window, daydreaming. Eventually, you became a little tired so you rested your head on the window ledge like a pillow. You drifted into a light sleep, which was only disrupted a few shouts and bumps. Then a thought came into your head.. "Hey Kiyoko, how are Kageyama and Hinata gonna get to the camp?"  You sleepily asked Kiyoko, who chuckled and explained that Tanaka's older sister, Saeko, would take care of it and get them there in no time. You nodded and put your head back on the window, falling asleep. I hope it all works out.

(a/n: hinata just doesn't matter at this point he can be number 0. why? cuz why not, just saying. fanfic has exceptions,) 😳💅✨

____________________

"Hey, y/n, we're here.." Kiyoko gently shook you awake and you opened your eyes. You stood up using the chair to support you and got off the coach. You took your bag and stepped outside, breathing in the air. You grabbed your bag, and took out your hairbrush. Sleeping on the coach had messed up your hair, so you ran the brush through your hair as you looked around the parking lot. They're not here yet. A look of disappointment came across your face as you hung the strap of your bag over your shoulder and followed the team inside. "Y/n, are you okay?" Yamaguchi had noticed your mood dropping and was there to make sure you were fine. "Huh? Oh, yeah sure. I-I'm fine.." You looked back at your feet and all Yamaguchi could do was accept it, and some of the team members caught on too. Tsukishima came over and walked next you you. He put his hand on your head and ruffled your hair, and you pulled him into a side hug as you walked. "Hey, you know that the team needs you and Kageyama for that attack. He will get here, I promise." You look up at him and smile weakly. "Don't worry about it, y/n. You'll be fine."

The team had found somewhere to rest in the corridor until the match started. "I love you." Tsukishima stayed and sighed, "You know that I do, and I'm happy you're on the team. I'm sorry about the other day, y/n. I guess I'm.. a little.. uh, jealous." You seem a little shocked at this, but you tackled him into another hug. "I love you too, Kei. Don't be mean again.. also you have your skills too, there's no need to feel like that." You pouted and he laughed. The team wouldn't usually see this softer side of Tsukishima, so it must be nice to have a change from his usual gloomy mood. He had a smile on his face and was laughing with his little sister. A few of the team members were laughing too, Tanaka and Nishinoya were going "awe, tsukki!!" to which Tsukishima replied, "Don't call me Tsukki. Only Yamaguchi calls me that." You look at him with your mouth open. 'Oh my god, that's so cute. He has a nickname from Yamaguchi' As he should, Yamaguchi was blushing looking at his feet. After that, Tsukishima put his headphones on and closed his eyes. He ignored everyone from then on, and he couldn't hear Sugawara telling him how nice it was to see Tsukishima happy. But you were glad he was happy, and it made you happy.

This isn't going to be as bad as I thought.