13) Route 666

Percy and Sam were examining a map on the hood of the Impala while Dean was on the phone. Percy was really hoping whoever was on the other end of the line just called up to have a nice chat so that he could finally have a good week where nothing tries to kill them. Plus, they were supposed to go on a date tomorrow.

"Ok," Sam said. "I think I found a way we can bypass that construction just east of here. We might even make Pennsylvania faster than we thought."

"Yeah," Dean lowered his phone, looking thoughtful. "Problem is, we're not going to Pennsylvania."

"I'm going to scream, Dean," Percy whispered in Greek, his eye twitching.

"Sorry," Dean grimaced. "I just got a call from an, uh, old friend. Her father was killed last night, think it might be our kind of thing."

"What?" Sam questioned.

"Yeah. Believe me, she never woulda called, never, if she didn't need us," Dean started getting into the Impala. "Come on, are you coming or not?"

***

Dean's hand was on Percy's thigh again, more tense than usual. Percy laid his hand on top of Dean's, and he stared at the lake outside of the window.

"By old friend you mean...?" Sam teased from the back, and Percy grimaced.

"A friend that's not new," Dean scowled.

"Oh yeah, thanks," Sam rolled his eyes. "So her name's Cassie huh? You never mentioned her...."

"Didn't I?" There was a long pause, in which Sam looked at Dean expectantly. Dean sighed. "Yeah, we went out."

"You mean you dated somebody?" Sam looked impressed. "For more than one night."

Percy frowned. He wasn't the jealous type, never had been, but that didn't mean he had to like any part of what was going on. Especially when they were about to go on a date.

"Am I speaking a language you're not getting here?" Dean scowled. "Dad and I were working a job in Ohio, she was finishing up college. We went out for a coupla weeks."

"And...?" Sam raised an eyebrow, but Dean just shrugged. "Look, it's terrible about her dad, but it kinda sounds like a standard car accident. I'm not seeing how it fits with what we do. Which by the way, how does she know what we do?" Dean looked shifty. "You told her. You told her, the secret! Our big family rule number one. We do what we do and we shut up about it. For a year and a half I do nothing but lie to Jessica, and you go out with this chick in Ohio a coupla times and you tell her everything?" Dean stayed silent, staring straight ahead. "Dean!"

"Yeah," Dean said quietly. "Looks like." He kept staring straight ahead, putting his foot down.

Okay. Maybe Percy was a bit jealous. But Dean had stayed with him for almost a year, and this Cassie girl got a couple of weeks, so he shouldn't have felt so sick about it. Dean loved him, and this was nothing more than helping a girl out. It had to be nothing more.

***

They walked into the newspaper office, Percy feeling very uncomfortable. Dean had dated this girl. What if he still liked her? What if he wanted to leave Percy?

Percy shook his head, knowing these were stupid thoughts.

"Jimmy, you're too close to this," someone, presumably the mayor, said to another man. "Those guys we're friends of yours. Again, Cassie, I'm very sorry for your loss."

Percy forced down a scowl. The girl, Cassie, was pretty, gorgeous even. She had curly chocolate brown hair and dark skin, brown eyes and full lips, and she had strong features. She looked like a badass, like she could kick Percy's ass, even though he knew she probably couldn't. No wonder Dean liked her.