Chapter Eight

Fall sunlight drenched the Hospital Wing in a golden hue with an occasional cloud interrupting it's warming rays. Along the grounds birds were calling as they swooped in and out of the forbidden forest, playing an exciting game of chase. The sounds of hundreds of students going about their day rang murmuredly up the corridor through the open doors. It was just another beautiful day for them, but for the boy who lay heavily bandaged on a cot towards the end of the room, it was the first day he'd been fully awake since leaving his prison.

Harry lay listening to the familiar, and yet somehow different, noises around him. He'd yet to open his eyes, afraid that when he did he'd find himself back in that dark cellar. His brain had convinced him that this was another torture method that Voldemort was using, raising his hopes of finally being free and then finding himself still imprisoned.

Another cloud passed and sunlight washed over his body presenting him with a warmth that he hadn't felt in ages. Grasping for the edge of the cot, he felt cool linen against his fingers. For a minute he allowed himself to hope; he allowed himself to believe he was finally safe. However, the sound of approaching footsteps caused him to flinch, pulling away as he waited for pain to erupt through every nerve in his bruised body. The pain never came though.

Opening his eyes a fraction, the boy peered out into the blinding room. His glasses were gone, but he couldn't mistake the form of Madam Pomfrey standing over his bedside, a tray laden with potions in her hands. She smiled kindly at him, and sitting the tray down on his bedside table she placed a long finger to her lips, motioning to his other side.

Taking his glasses from the table and placing them on his mended, though still slightly crooked, nose, Harry turned to see an elderly man sleeping in a wooden chair. Albus Dumbledore's head rose and fell with each sleeping breath he took, his mouth slightly agape. It was hard to tell how long he had been there, but by the look of it, he had hardly left his seat.

Behind him, standing at an open window and staring vacantly across the grounds, was Remus Lupin. His face was free of any signs of damage, and for a fraction of a second Harry thought that his torture had been another image Voldemort had placed in his mind. Had he killed someone for no reason? But then he saw the awkward way the wizard was standing as if he couldn't bear for his clothes to touch his back.

If Harry thought the sight of the Headmaster would bring him relief, he was greatly mistaken. Resentment built in his chest, driving him to a sitting position. He couldn't handle being in the same room as the man, let alone talk to him if he were to awaken. The small movement was enough to send blinding pain across his chest and back, a yelp escaped his lips.

"Harry." Dumbledore and Lupin were by his side in an instant, assisting Madam Pomfrey in returning him to the mattress. Overpowered, Harry fell back into his pillows, gasping for air.

"You're alright, Harry. You're safe." Dumbledore's words were meant to calm him, but instead, fury consumed him.

"No thanks to you," Harry breathed, clutching his ribs. He caught Lupin's eye and a disapproving look formed on his face.

Dumbledore looked taken aback for a minute, and sitting back in his chair, eyed Harry solemnly. He looked older than he ever had before. "Harry I owe you an apology. I.."

" Save it," said Harry, eyes moving to his hands clenched tightly in his lap. "I don't need your apologies. "

Madam Pomfrey, who was now pouring water into a crystal goblet, made a reproachful noise. "I don't think that is any way to talk to the Headmaster," she began hotly, but Dumbledore quickly raised a withered hand.

"If you do not mind Poppy, could we have a few minutes alone." Dumbledore gave her a small, encouraging smile.

She stared at him for a long minute, apparently surprised at being thrown from her own ward. Huffing, she turned on her heal and stormed back towards her office, muttering nonstop about disrespectful teenagers.