Chapter Thirteen

The ice-cold wind swept through the surrounding trees, sending leaves of every color down like pelting rain. The ones that had already fallen were swept up in large whirlwinds that twirled widely down the gravel road. Above, a bright sky laden with white fluffy clouds completed the perfect autumn day, making it marvelous weather for a trip to Hogsmeade. Unfortunately for Harry, it wasn't any normal Hogsmeade weekend.

He, Hermione, and Ron had walked the long path from the castle to the small village with laughter and plans of visiting Honeydukes first thing. Harry played along, chuckling and talking about all the candy he planned on buying even though he knew he would never make it to the sweet shop. It took every fiber in his body to keep him from screaming and running back to the castle; hiding under his covers like a scared child. But he was a scared child.

Turning the corner that led to the main street, Harry tried to calm the anxiety building within his chest. The road was packed full of laughing students who were scrambling from one window to another, pointing and gawking at the contents. Others were filtering into the Three Broomsticks for a warm drink of butterbeer. Harry would have given anything to be a normal student, excited for a day of shopping and drinking; instead, he was dreading the moment they would reach Honeydukes's door.

Weaving through the crowd, they arrived at the shop's landing in what seemed like record time. Taking one last deep breath, Harry set his mind on the task at hand.

"Bollocks," he exclaimed, bringing a hand up to his forehead. The pair turned to look at him, brows furrowed in confusion. "I've forgotten I had a meeting with Professor Dumbledore this morning."

"Oh come on Harry," Ron said, his shoulders slumping more than usual. "It's our first visit. Just tell him you forgot."

"I'll just run up and see what he wanted. Surely it won't take long," Harry assured them. "I'll meet you guys in the Three Broomsticks for lunch."

Ron and Hermione gave each other a fleeting glance. "You want us to come with you," Hermione asked, and Harry was aggravated to hear a touch of worry in her voice. Had they been given orders not to leave his side? Was he so fragile that he couldn't go to Hogsmeade without someone watching over him?

"I'm fine. Really," he added as Hermione looked on the verge of arguing. "It'll only take a minute." And with that he turned briskly on his heal, returning back up the street.

He reached the fork in the road, one street heading back to the castle, the other winding its way up to the Hog's Head pub. Looking longingly at the castle, he stood frozen, hands buried deep into his jacket pockets, as a conflicting battle raged in his mind. He could return to the warmth of the castle, argue that he hadn't been able to shake Ron and Hermione; or he could do as he was told and find whoever was waiting for him at The Hog's Head.

Now, now Harry. Let's not start out this way, came a sharp voice inside his head. He knew it was no use arguing and turned up the gravel walk to the pub.

A sudden thought occurred to him; wouldn't it be suspicious if he was seen leaving the pub with an adult? But before he'd had time to ponder the question, a strong hand gripped his bicep, steering him towards the alley that ran behind the building. Another hand snaked into his pocket, collecting his wand from inside its depths.

"Glad you could make it, Potter," said the gruff voice that Harry recognized as Yaxley. He had had only one encounter with the man, though he was sure he would never forget it. After trying to escape during the summer, he had held Harry's head underwater in a drainage ditch. Now, his fingers were digging unpleasantly into his arm.

Harry jerked his arm to the side to free it from the man's tight fingers, but Yaxley twisted it backward painfully and slammed him face-first against the rough brick wall. Letting out a grunt, Harry felt the Death Eater's weight pushing against his pinned limb, bearing down until he thought it would snap.