Chapter Eleven

Harry awoke in the Hospital Wing in a state of panic. The sheet was clinging to his sweat-drenched arms, and he pulled frantically at it before realizing what it was. Taking in several rattling breaths, he fought back the urge to scream and instead tried to calm his racing heart. After a minute of searching the dim fuzzy room, he laid back and stared at the ceiling.

Upon the wide wooden beams, a faint light was beginning to grow, illuminating the drifting dust particles like glitter falling from the rafters. Apparently, the sun was already breaking away the night's darkness. Swallowing against his dry throat, he closed his eyes briefly before snapping them open again. He was afraid of what might be lurking behind his eyelids, sure that if they stayed shut for long he'd be transported back to some terrifying place.

The rattling of iron rings against metal drew his eyes down to the opening curtains. Madam Pomfrey appeared around the corner, a tray laden with various breakfast foods in her arms. Seeing that he was awake, she gave him a small smile. "Morning, Harry. I wasn't sure what you wanted for breakfast, so I brought you a little of everything." She helped him sit up in bed, placing a pillow behind his back, and laid the tray across his lap.

Harry reluctantly took a bite of buttered toast while the matron busied herself with cleaning the bedside table. The crispy bread was hard to swallow, but he forced it down before taking a long drink of cool, refreshing juice. "Could I go see Professor Dumbledore after breakfast," Harry asked, finally working up the nerve to speak.

Madam Pomfrey straightened up, her eyebrows furrowed as she turned to study him. "I don't think.." she began but Harry quickly pleaded his case.

"I'll come straight back after we're finished. I just…I just had something I wanted to ask him," he said in a begging tone.

Heaving a sigh, Madam Pomfrey gave a slight nod. "As long as you eat first. I guess I should be thankful you're finally ready to get out of bed." Turning, she continued on to the next table, wiping every surface as she went.

Harry began to shove food at random into his mouth, trying to quickly eat as much as his soured stomach would allow without choking. Each mouthful was like sand that swelled exponentially with his saliva, making it difficult to swallow. He'd barely finished four bites before succumbing to his gnawing stomach and setting the tray aside.

He dressed as quickly as his battered body would allow him, thankful to skip the assistance of Madam Pomfrey this time. It was a fight, but after a few grunts of pain, he managed to pull his last item of clothing on. With a quick reassurance that he would go straight there and make no detours, Harry left the Hospital Wing on his own.

Immediately after turning the first corner into the main corridor, Harry realized his mistake. A sea of black robes rolled past as hundreds of students fought their way to their first class of the morning. Upon seeing Harry, eyes widened and heads began to turn as a roar of whispers broke across the crowd. A rush of heat washed over his face and quickly with head bent, he began to make his way through the crowd.

"Is that him?"

"Where? I can't see!"

"Look over there!"

Ducking his head, he tried to turn the corner when a familiar voice rang out above the noise.

"HARRY!"

Turning, Harry saw a flash of red hair sprinting towards him; pushing anyone that stood between them out of the way. Ginny Weasley was inches from throwing herself to embrace him when she pulled up short. The sudden stop caused her to take an awkward step, her hand reaching out to brace against his chest to steady herself. The smell of fresh flowers followed in her wake, causing Harry's stomach to clench tightly against the recent memories of his dream.