Chapter 3

No one said anything after that. If those two knew each other from normal school, Rune thought, They must have been the worst enemies. The painful silence was finally broken when two girls walked into the room.

"What time is it?" a girl with brown hair and an Australian accent said. "Showtime!" A dark-skinned girl with a streak of blue in her hair replied. "I can't believe we got into Sage! And Cloe too!" The girl with the blue streak threw her stuff down and chose a bed next to the other girl.

"Who are you?" Harvi furrowed her brows. "I've never seen someone with upside-down magic so happy." Cassandra giggled "I've never seen someone so happy knowing they'll have to spend a whole school year with Snorace," Cassandra and Harvi laughed out loud. Maybe they weren't such sworn enemies after all.

"Oh! I'm Sasha Bryant and this is Thalia Porter," the girl with the blue streak said. "What do you do," Harvi pressed. "Oh um..."Sasha certainly said oh a lot, "I'm an upside down flyer, instead of flying I have super speed, It really sucks 'cause I had to drop out of all my sports in normal school..."Sasha hung her head.

"I'm an upside down flyer too!" Cassandra suddenly chirped. "I feel ya, I have to sit out of so many things in class because I can just teleport". Out of nowhere, they were both talking about how much it sucked to be an upside-down flyer.

"I'm here too," Thalia raised her hand a little sheepishly. They all stopped talking and looked at her. "I...have doubling magic." She took the headband off her head and in a second, another one appeared in her hand. "In my old school they called me an upside down fluxer, but I don't know any fluxers who can do anything like me..."

Rune understood that feeling. At least the other girls had something in common with the magic type they were called, her magic had nothing to do with flickering.

So, she tried to cheer Thalia up. "How many times can you double things?" Thalia perked up. "Right now, I can only duplicate things once, and only small objects, but here at Sage they say they'll try to teach me to duplicate however many things I want, and however big I want!"

Suddenly, by making Thalia feel better, she had realized she had made herself feel worse. At least they have a plan on teaching her how to use her magic, I can barely even control mine.

Later that day, Dr. Horace explained all the school rules to the 5th graders. Telling them how to keep their uniforms tidy, how they would be sorted into classes, bla bla bla. No wonder they called him Snorace, what a bore.

Suddenly, a kid next to her started laughing. What's so funny? Rune thought. The kid only laughed more. What was wrong with this kid, did he think of something funny, because not even Rune could find something funny in Dr. Horace's lecture. "Sorry," the kid chuckled.

"I'm Remus Farrell, I can sorta read minds..." Rune's face heat up at this. He could read minds? It's a good thing she was only thinking of Snorace, imagine if she thought of something rude, or embarrassing! Rune tried her best to think about nothing. "So you're upside down?" Don't think, don't think, don't think!

"Yeah," Remus replied. "I and my brother Roman are both upside down fuzzies. I can control my mind-reading magic, but sometimes it slips..." They were hushed by Ms. Fujita, Snorace's assistant. Wow, Rune thought. So there were at least two upside-down boys too, this class really would be big. Rune hoped that Remus wasn't reading her mind then.

"So what magic does your brother have?" Rune asked this but was immediately glared at by Ms. Fujita. Maybe she should have said that in her mind. Then she wouldn't be in trouble.