Chapter 17 = Some Luck

The next day at school, I decided to sneak up on Carol before the bell rang so that I could take revenge for what he did to me yesterday.

"Ah!" he screamed and dropped his books. People in the hallway started staring at us.

"Well? Come on people. I'm sure you have other things to do than stare at us." I told them. "Carol, it's just me."

"What was that for? You scared me."

"Well, I wanted to take revenge for the way you scared me yesterday and yes, scaring you was the idea."

"Then it worked."

"I see."

"I thought that you were the killer or something." he said the word killer softly as he bent down to pick up his books.

"Well, I was thinking that we could skip school and go to the apartment. The faster we find the killer, the faster this nightmare will get over and I'll feel safe. I have Art, Music, English, Geo and History today so I can easily skip those classes. What about you?"

I looked over at his schedule and nearly had a heart attack.

"Chem, Bio, Physics, Comp and Economics? No you can't skip school. Our exams are coming closer, you're a new student and there's a lot to study-oh my god! I've been taking up all your free time, haven't I? How will you ever get ready for the exams in time? You can't help me anymore, not when you could fail!"

"Amantha, Amantha, calm down. I'm a very bright student. I'm not going to fail and it isn't that difficult either. Even if you don't let me come with you, I'll skip school. So you have to choose whether you want my help or not."

I thought about it. I didn't want him to skip school. I didn't want him to fail and waste his time anymore, but knowing him, he would skip school on his own and keep thinking about me. What I had found. He wouldn't study. Or maybe he would follow me.

"Fine. I do want your help."

He smiled. "Good to know."

We both left school seconds before the late bell rang and with the help of my address, we went to his apartment.

When we saw Broke Hudson written on a name plate, we knew we were at the right house. Carol lock-picked the door and we went in.

It was really neat. As if he had expected someone to break into his house. I had heard that usually police officers' houses were messy with papers and stuff. Especially if they lived alone.

We put on gloves and started searching. We went through files, old phones, tablets, laptops and everything else that could have information. We even searched for anything that might have been related or belonged to Claire.

After an hour we still found nothing. We even checked the dustbins.

"Let's go Carol. There's nothing here."

"No. Look what I found."

He held up a key. It had a few letters engraved on it. LN:13 O TA L CK RS. I took the key from him.

"'LN' means 'Locker Number'. So LN:13 is locker number:13. The rest I'm not so sure. A few letters are missing. I think the second word is lockers. It would make sense."

"The first word is... Rosta! The Rosta Lockers at the club!"

"Officer Broke must have rented out a locker there and kept something in it."

"Yeah. Let's go. There's nothing here anyway. The locker is our last chance. I hope we find something there."

"I hope so too, I hope so too."