Chapter 29 = No More Secrets

At first, I thought that I was dreaming but then I realized that all this was real. I even pinched myself.

On my left, was about fifty bars of gold and on my right were about fifty beautiful real diamonds.

I turned to my parents. "What is this?"

"Amantha, all this, is like a family heirloom. It's been passed on from generation to generation."

"Does this mean we're rich?"

"Yes but we can't spend it because it's like treasure. It belongs to our ancestors. When you become eighteen, all this legally becomes yours."

"That's cool."

"But you have to know, you can't tell anyone else or spend it. You have to keep a low profile. Have a normal house, wear normal clothes and act normal. That's another reason that the vault was a secret vault. We just told you about it so that if you ever opened it, which you couldn't all by yourself, you would know what it was."

"Mom, Derrick said that he needed what was in the vault. What did he mean by that?"

"No one outside our huge family knows the secret. It's supposed to be only us. Carol would be the first outsider. You're not supposed to tell him but we trust him enough so it's okay and Derrick Rogers is your very distant cousin. I'll tell you how it all started. There was a rich woman. She was our ancestor. She had two sons. One of them was our ancestor. One day, there was a terrible storm and she lost everything she had. Her sons were safe and she tried to gather whatever gold, jewels, etc. that belonged to her. She gave both of them half of it as she knew that she wouldn't live much longer. The elder son spent all of it. The younger one, our ancestor, saved it. Soon their mother died. The elder son thought that he should've had everything as he was the elder one and always tried to steal every chance he got. The younger one knew about it and decided to make it a family heirloom and he passed it on to his son and the cycle kept on repeating. The elder son's descendants still try to steal it. That's why it's our job to protect it. Derrick is the descendant of the elder son. That's why he tried to break in."

I just looked around. This all did make sense. Then I remembered about Officer Broke.

"Officer Broke. Was he on our side?"

"How did you know that?"

"He told me that he was my uncle."

My dad sighed. "Yes. He was on our side."

"Thank you." I told my parents. I didn't know what to add after that.

I couldn't believe that in four years and a few months, all this would be mine.