Chapter 19 = Time To Confront

I woke up to the noise of drums being played. I looked around and saw a small child playing drums.

I smiled at the sight. At least some people were having fun.

"Good morning." I heard Carol say and saw that he was leaning his head against the window. "I guess we've reached."

We got off the bus and started walking towards the police station.

"Can I talk to Officer Broke?"

"Is it regarding the case?"

"Sort of. Yeah but it's very important."

"I'm sorry but you can't meet him unless it's regarding the case. Only case matters and family are allowed."

"Well, I am his family. I'm his niece."

"What is your name, dear?"

"Amantha Herkane. Now can I go in?"

She just started at my face. "Did you just say Amantha Herkane?"

"Yes."

"Okay, you can go in. It's right down the-"

"I know where it is. Thank you."

Without another word, Carol and I went towards his office. I opened the door without knocking and dropped the key on the table.

"Hello, Uncle." I said and he stopped doing whatever he was doing.

"Amantha, I've been searching for that key. Sit and let me explain."

"No, let me explain." I said as Carol and I sat down. I started telling him about how I'd thought that he was the killer since he'd recorded my interrogation and taken my phone. I told him how I had checked his phone, broken into his office and apartment. I told him how I'd found the key, gone to the club's locker and then the room. I told him how I had read everything he had collected. I told him how I had suspected Carol to be the killer first. I told him how I had found evidence to prove that he hadn't been the killer and at last I told him that I had suspected him and that's why I did all I did.

"...I know now that you didn't do it and I know that you're my uncle too.

"And I'm sorry that you had to find out this way."

"But why? Why are you helping me? You didn't even know Claire."

"I'm doing this for you. I saw what happened to you after Claire's death and I wanted to do something. After all, you're my niece."

"So when exactly did you plan on telling me?"

"After I figured out who the killer was I did go through your phone and stuff to know about all the things you had found so far and I saw that the killer was texting you."

I was stunned. I didn't say anything.

"I'll find out what's in the vault and tell you and can you promise me something?"

"Of course. Anything."

"Be there for the rest of my childhood."

"I promise I will. Have a nice day Amantha."

"You too, Offi-Uncle."

Carol and I left. I was so happy that after so long, I'd finally moved a step forward.