Most Amazing Sound - Evan "Buck" Buckley

I finished smoothing out the clothes I was wearing. The only thoughts running through my head were what would happen when my belly was too big to fit into my work clothes anymore. That was, until my mind wandered to how to tell even tell Evan I was carrying his baby.

I had no idea what his reaction would be, we had never talked about it. I never thought I would have to deal with a situation like this, but here we are. I didn't know what his thoughts on having a baby now were, I didn't know what my thoughts were.

Every time I thought about telling him my palms started sweating and all my limbs got a little shaky and weak. Nevertheless, I knew I had to tell him and I had to do it soon.

"Everything ok?" Evan's voice broke me from my thoughts.

"Jesus, babe you scared me" I jumped a little.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. You just look a little far away. Everything ok?" He looked concerned.

To be honest I was on a completely different planet but I managed to force a smile.

"Of course everything's fine, I'm just a little tired" I answered. It wasn't a lie, the little one was already taking all my energy.

"Are you sure?" He asked me with a questioning look on his face.

Before I could answer we were alerted of a call. Only an ambulance was needed for the call so I forced another smile towards Evan kissing his cheek quickly.

"Don't worry, I'm fine" I rubbed his arm before sprinting away.

I worked as a floater paramedic, wherever they needed me within a certain distance is where I would go. One of the medics at Evan's station would be out for a bit so that's where I was. Being around him seemed to make it so much harder, on one hand I wanted to just scream the news at him but on the other I just wanted to hide.

When we arrived on scene we already had the knowledge that a male in his mid 20's had fallen down the stairs in an apartment building, had a possible broken arm and appeared semi conscious. Kneeling down next to the male it seemed like he was barely with it but he had a strong pulse and his breathing was normal.

We gave him a small dose of morphine to make him comfortable and I quickly got to work splinting his arm so it wouldn't get worse in transport. I brought myself to a squatting position just as the male seemed to pop into full consciousness and pull himself to his feet quickly.

Not knowing what was going on I pulled myself to stand and turned just in time to see the male smash his hand into the decorative mirror that hung in the building's hallway and come away with a shard of glass to slice my upper arm. As I grabbed my fresh wound the male threw me to the ground hard and took off running.

My head hit the ground hard, my whole body hit the ground hard. The last thing I heard was my partner radioing for officers and more medic help, then everything was black.

When I woke up, I instantly knew I was in an ambulance. I jerked myself awake, not because I was scared of the male or for myself but because I was scared for my baby.

"Hey, hey everything's ok. Just stay calm we're almost at the hospital" my partner soothed making me ease back down.

"Did they catch him?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah they got him, don't worry" she patted my shoulder making me smile.

When we got to the hospital they went about checking my vitals and sent a nurse away to get the materials to stitch up my arm.

"Everything in the preliminary exam looks good. No signs of internal bleeding anywhere and no major nerves or vessels were hit from the cut. We'll run some tests get you stitched up and get you home" the doctor smiled at me.

"Is-is the baby ok?" I asked grabbing for her arm as she was turning to leave.

"The what?" I heard Evan's voice from the doorway.

I froze in my spot. This wasn't happening, he couldn't find out like this. He walked closer to me his eyes never leaving me.

"I just found out a few days ago. I wanted to tell you but I didn't know how, I didn't know how you would react. I was was terrified of telling you" I explained the tears forming in my eyes.

"Is our baby going ok?" Evan looked at the doctor.

"We'll know for sure when we do an ultrasound. I'll go set it up" she smiled sympathetically before leaving the room.

"Is this why you've been acting weird the past few days?" Evan pulled up a chair and sat next to the bed.

"I didn't know I was acting weird, but I suppose so" I mumbled playing with the bedding.

"Jesus, Y/N, I thought you were about to break up with me. You scared the hell out of me" he chuckled a bit.

"You're...you're not mad?" I asked concerned.

"Mad? Hell yeah, I'm mad. I'm mad at the guy who put you in here, who hurt you and put our baby at risk. But mad at you? Honey, we're going to have a baby. A tiny little version of us that we get to love the rest of our lives. How can I be mad at that?" He smiled as the tears flowed freely from my eyes.

He pressed a kiss to my lips as the doctor walked in with another female pulling a machine.

"This is Michelle, she'll be doing your ultrasound while we get your arm stitched up" she smiled.

Both of them settled in while a few nurses came in to aid. Evan gave my hand a comforting squeeze as the ultrasound tech got set up. I took a deep breath as the screen lit up and the tech got to work.

"Congratulations you two" the tech started with a smile. "Looks like your baby is doing just fine. You seem to be about eight weeks along"

"Eight weeks?" I asked shocked, my mind instantly going over everything I've done the past eight weeks "But...I've had my period" I state confused.

"Sometimes there's some spotting or light bleeding early into the pregnancy, it's easy to mistake for a light period. Do you want to hear the heartbeat?" She asked looking over at the both of us.

"Please" we both said at the same time before smiling at each other.

The best sound I've ever heard came through the machine. My face widened in a smile and tears dampened my eyes again. I looked over towards Evan to see his reaction.

"That is the most amazing sound I've ever heard" he said staring at the machine in amazement. His eyes were starting to water with tears but he never looked away from our baby on the screen.

Why was I so worried again?

Requested by: @doctorslycat

Thank you for requesting! ❤️❤️❤️