I Got You- Eddie Diaz

I was sleeping when the fire broke out. A faulty detector was what failed to wake me up. My neighbor was a smoker, a reckless smoker apparently. All it took was falling asleep with a cigarette in their hand one time to send the whole building up in flames.

"Don't worry, I got you" was the last thing I heard the fire fighter say before I lost consciousness.

When I came to, that same firefighter was passing me as I sat up. He was carrying someone else to safety, a child I had seen running the halls a few times. He smiled at me as he passed and as if on cue a paramedic placed oxygen on my face, his smile made it hard to catch my breath.

I was kept in the hospital overnight for observation due to losing consciousness and when I was finally released, I was on a mission to thank the people who saved me. I'll admit there was a certain firefighter I was more excited to thank but either way I knew I had to do something to say thank you.

I rested for the night like the doctors and nurses advised but the next morning when I woke up, it was go time. I gathered everything I needed to make a few different kinds of cookies from scratch and settled in the kitchen. By the time I had finished it was well into the evening. I boxed up the cookies and set them on the counter so they were ready to go.

The next morning I got ready and grabbed the cookies on the way out the door. I had to work at nine, but I figured I should have enough time to drop off the cookies before heading into work.

My nerves didn't hit me till I pulled into the fire house. Actually sitting in the parking lot and looking at the building in front of me stirred up all kinds of emotions. I was just holding out hope that the people who helped me would be there.

"Hi, umm I was part of the apartment fire the other night you guys responded to...over on 8th street? I just wanted to bring these by to say thank you" I smiled hiding my nerves.

"Of course come in" an older male held the door open for me to come into the station.

He introduced me to everyone as I laid out the cookies for them until something else caught my attention.

"And this, is who you probably want to thank the most" the male, who I now knew as Bobby, said as he brought someone else over.

When I turned around I almost stopped breathing completely. The guy who carried me out was standing right in front of me.

"Yes of course. I can't thank you enough" I held out my hand for him to shake.

"No need to thank me" he slowly shook my hand. "Eddie"

"Nice to meet you Eddie" I smiled at him my hand still slowly shaking his.

"Well I'm just going to go...somewhere other than here" Bobby trailed off walking away from us.

For the time that followed until they were called out on a call, I talked to Eddie. He was super easy to talk to and I felt like I learned a lot about him in the short time we were able to talk. We were even able to exchange numbers.

The days that followed me taking the cookies to the firehouse were filled with not only working, but texting Eddie cute little texts with the occasional phone call here and there. It wasn't until late one night when he called me on his shift to say goodnight, which I thought was adorable in itself, that he asked me to go to dinner with him.

"Took you long enough" was all I could say as my face broke out into a smile.

The next three weeks progressed to seeing Eddie as much as possible outside of our work schedules. I was supposed to go over to his house for dinner as I was still in a hotel due to the fire. When I arrived I noticed a note on the door.

"Door's not locked. Just come in" I read aloud. "Well that's not safe" I giggled to myself before opening the door.

"Babe?" I heard Eddie call.

"Yeah" I quickly called back closing the door.

"I'm in the kitchen" he called out again.

I made my way to the kitchen to find him stirring something in a pot on the stove.

"You can cook too?" I asked with a light laugh.

"Don't get too excited cutie, it's just pasta" he laughed moving to give me a quick kiss before returning to the food.

"That was dangerous you know" I joked holding up the paper that was taped to the front door. "I could have been a burglar walking in"

"Well" he started as he turned off the stove and moved back towards me. "You are the hottest burglar I've ever seen" he rested his hands on my hips. "I'll have to remember to leave my door open more often" he smirked at me.

"Babe, Christopher-" I started to warn before he cut me off.

"Is with a sitter for the night" he pulled me fully against him.

"Smart, smart man" I smiled wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I must be, I fell in love with you" he smiled at me.

"Wait what? You love me?" I asked quickly to a nodding Eddie. "Wow, I'm sorry I'm just a little shocked, you know I love you too right?" I looked at him seriously as I placed my hands on each of his shoulders.

"I do now" he chuckled taking a breath.

"I'm sorry honey I wasn't expecting it, I didn't really know how to react or what to do" I tried to explain.

"Don't worry baby" he moved his hands to either side of my face. "I got you" he pulled me in to kiss him sweetly.

Those were the first words he ever spoke to me, and I had no doubt in my mind that he did and always would have me.

Requested by: @Emmapopsie6

Thanks for requesting! ❤️❤️❤️