Chapter Three

I slowly eat my bowl of soup. My jaw is in pain from earlier, but I don't let it show. I smile, laugh, talk.

Suddenly, I feel like the air is being sucked out of my lungs. I find it impossible to breathe. I hear Arthur start whispering in my ear.

"Merlin, are you okay?"

I quickly nod. Next, I address everybody.

"I have to go to the bathroom. Excuse me."

Without seeing a reaction, I get up and briskly walk to the bathroom.

I take off my scarf and throw water onto my face.

Deep breath in, deep breath out. I'm okay.

"Merlin?"

I turn around and see Arthur standing there with a concerned look on his face.

"Arthur. What are you doing here?"

"I'm here checking on you. What the fuck happened to your jaw?"

I quickly spin around, only to see a large bruise on my jaw.

"It's nothing. Let's go back to Gwen and Lancelot. I don't want them to think we're doing anything bad."

Arthur can't help but smile.

"Fine. But you're sleeping at my place tonight. No exceptions."

"Arthur, I can't-"

"No. I don't want to hear it. You're sleeping at mine and that's final."

"Arthur. I don't have any clothes or my backpack or schoolwork. It's all at my house."

"Fine. We'll go back to yours and you'll pick up your stuff. Then we're going back to mine."

I try to think of a way I can make Arthur and my dad happy.

"Okay. Only on one condition."

Arthur's face lights up hearing me say that.

"Of course! Anything! What is it?"

I take a deep breath.

"My father has to believe I'm sleeping at my house. He cannot know I'm not home."

"That's all? Deal."

"Okay. It's settled then."

"By the way, Merlin. Are you ever going to tell me about that day?"

I know exactly what day Arthur is talking about. The first and last time I've ever slept at Arthur's house. After coming home and receiving my punishment, I told Arthur I'd never sleep at his again.

"Come on, let's go back to Gwen and Lancelot."

I walk past Arthur out of the rest room.

*Eight years ago*

"Thank you Mr. Uther for driving my home."

"Anytime Merlin. Whenever you want to stay over, you're always welcomed to."

"Thank you."

I open the door and step out of the car. Then, before I close the door, I turn to Arthur.

"Bye Arthur. I'll see you soon."

"Bye Merlin! I'll see you tomorrow."

I close the door and walk up to my house. I hope dad won't be too mad for spontaneously sleeping at Arthur's house.

With one last wave at Arthur's car, I walk into my house. My father is sitting at the kitchen table.

"Nice of you to finally come home, boy."