》Chapter 02《

A Moon Had Passed.

The snow had fully melted, making the grass wet and having puddles in the clearing here and there. Everyone did their tasks as usual while the kits played in the water.

"A bet you can't make a big splash," Minnowkit dared Salmonkit, who just grinned.

"Let's see about that." The red kit took a few steps backward before running straight for a puddle, he leaped as high as he could, landing on the water with a 'splash'. Droplets scattered averywhere, some landing on the two kits who also got a bit wet.

The puddle wasn't deep, so the splash was not that big, it still won because Minnowkit's was small. Salmonkit stuck his tongue out at his sister, "I won," He teased.

"Ugh, watch where you're splashing!"

It turns out, the splash got to the two approaching toms. A calico kit was grinning as he shook his pelt while the other one had a scowl on his face.

"Were you trying to be a fish Salmonkit?" Foxkit shook himself dry. "Because if you are, we can take you to the river."

Salmonkit rolled his eyes, "No, but I'm pretty sure we use water to get ourselves clean or have fun."

The fox colored kit glared at him for his response, "That's what Riverclan cats do, I'm a Shadowclan cat."

The calico kit laughed and nudged his brother lightly, "Oh come on Foxkit, don't you find water refreshing? Also, when we become apprentices you might even decide to swim in the river," his brother joked.

Foxkit lowered his ears and looked away "We're not even apprentices yet even though we should be Thunderpaw.."

Foxkit & Thunderkit were almost 8 moons old. Due to the harsh and cold leafbare Tawnystar decided that she needed to make sure the queens, kits and elders should be healthy. The two were held back only to be safe, with lack of food and more time for hunting no one had the capability to train them during that time. Unlike the other clans, Shadowclan seem to value the young and the old very much that they can even hold back apprentice ceremonies, that is why every gathering the other clans wonder why their apprentices during leafbare were already healthy.

Silverkit smiled shyly at Foxkit, "Well, I think you look like you'll be a very skilled apprentice now."

Foxkit glanced at her with a neutral expression, "Uh..thanks, I guess."

Thunderkit blocked Silverkit's way, "How about me? Do I make a really good apprentice?"

Silverkit just laughed at her friend, "If you're gonna be that jumpy and loud, I guess you'll be a great fighter and suck at hunting." The calico kit just purred in amusement.

"Wait, there's father!"

The three siblings looked at the thorn tunnel that shook wildly, meaning that someone big was coming. Sharptooth & Whitefur appeared with blackbirds and a vole, the others had the usual lizards and mice. Then, a golden furred tom came last, his muscles rippled under his short yet thick fur. He had a darker shade of fur that was very thick, it surrounded his neck till chest, a thick tuft of it even reached his head.

"Hey there little ones," Lionstripe meowed, it was muffled because of the fur of the prey he was holding.

"Dad!" Minnowkit leaped on the back of her father, but only reached his side because he was really big. Salmonkit was the one who reached his back, he bit the scruff of his father, his head buried in the thick fur.

"I got ya!" The red kit said in a muffled voice. Lionstripe exaggerated a grunt of surprise as he dropped his prey and stomped around, Minnowkit squealed in delight as she held on, a purr rumbling in her throat. Silverkit joined in and pushed him to the other side, the kit on the top doing the same. The big tom dramatically collapsed on the ground.